Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems connecting SK-IoD-09TH

Hi

I have purchased a SK-IoD-09TH module, and I am trrying to operate with it.
    I have installed arduino IDE (1.8.1) and configured properly the board as requested on the IoD-09TH datasheet.
    I have also installed the driver from sillabs site.
    I have 2 computers with s.o. WIN 10 (64bit) and 1 computer with s.o. win 7 (Home edition).

These are the problems I'm experiencing:

1. With the 2 PCs with OS Win 10 I cannot compile the demo file:IoD9demo.ino

I have selected the board: "4D Systems gen4 IoD Range", but there is the following error:

sketch\Iod9demo.ino.cpp:1:21: fatal error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory
    #include <Arduino.h>

If I select the board: "Generic ESP8266Module", then I can compile the file but I can't transfer the file to the module:
    There is the following error:

warning: espcomm_sync failed
    error: espcomm_open failed
    error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Note: I have pushed the button " FLASH"

2. With the PC which has OS Win 7 Home Edition I can compile with "4D Systems gen4 IoD Range" board selected , but I can't transfer the file to the module.

Note: I have pushed the button " FLASH"

What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem transferring code to your IoD-09TH. I noticed that you are just using the Arduino IDE at the moment.

Could you please check device manager first to check that your driver has installed correctly and also check that the port is not being used for anything else. It isn't necessary to press the FLASH button on the IoD's the setting up for flash mode is done automatically. Also can you check that the IoD resets when attempting to flash the device.

The Arduino.h error means that it cannot find Arduino.h on your windows 10 machine for some reason. Not really sure why it is finding Arduino.h when using the ESP8266 as the core is the same. I will try to find a solution to this problem.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hello Paul,

Yes, I am using the Arduino IDE 1.8.1 at the moment.

I have checked that driver has installed correctly and also I have checked that the port is not being used for anything else.I have used driver CP210x for Windows V6.7.5, without Serial Enumeration.

With the PC which has OS Win 7 Home Edition I can compile with "4D Systems gen4 IoD Range" board selected,and CPU Frequency "160 MHz", or "80 MHz" .... , with Upload Speed "115200"

When the IoD attempting to flash the device, the LED is flashing and the IoD resets (in some attempts, not always), and the error is the same:

Note1: Now, I'm not pressing the button " FLASH"
      Note2: If I press the "RESET" button the IoD module is not reset.
      Note3: The module IoD-09 works fine, I can see the default message.
      Note4: The IoD-09 module is connected to 4D-UPA directly, without any connector.

Best regards
      Kostas

Comment

Hello Paul,

Now, with WIN 7 everything works perfectly.

The problem was that I had not used a connector between the IoD-09TH and 4D-UPA module and there was not a good contact between the two. By moving the IoD a bit with patience, I got a good contact and everything works perfectly, both the RESET and the communication between both.

Now the problem of compiling the program with WIN 10 remains to be solved.

Best regards
        Kostas

Comment

I'll just add for other noobs that i had the same problem with connection between the Io9th and the 4D-UPA programmer.
          I pulled the IoD out of the programmer a bit and slightly at an angle and connection was made.

Like Kostas, I'm now up to solving the next problem, but mine is that the result of the GFX demo is (periodically changing) screen garbage in pink, cyan, green and white

Unplugged and re-uploaded. Same problem.
          Not sure what to do next
          NC

Comment

An update to my struggles [FYI there is some peer pressure for me to return to work next week with this terrific new device able to go through its paces ]

Tried to remove the Io9 and replace it in programmer. I now get a demo with lines of unreadable text [no font installed? I have followed the set up instructions in data sheet] plus image derivatives (e.g I can roughly recognise part of the 4D logo)
            Confirmed that I have to seat the Io9 at a distinct angle in the 4D programmer in order to reupload code

So I think my problem comes from the connection between the two. How can I address this please?

Comment

Hello,

Welcome to the forum,

I can find no reason why your text should be garbled. Would it be possible to send an image of the display while it is doing this.

There seems to be an issue with the SD card files for the demo. Could you please try replacing IoD9.gci and IoD9.dat on the SD card with the 2 files in the attached zip.

Best regards

Paul
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pauleilio View Post
                I can find no reason why your text should be garbled. Would it be possible to send an image of the display while it is doing this.

There seems to be an issue with the SD card files for the demo. Could you please try replacing IoD9.gci and IoD9.dat on the SD card with the 2 files in the attached zip.

Paul
                Thank you so much Paul, I wasn't expecting a reply so soon and I dont expect one today either on new year's day.
                I copied your IoD files to my SD card (they were not already there) and attach a screenshot of the SD contents after I did this.
                Sadly the new files made no difference when I put the SD card back in. I attach an MP4.
                I also tried reuploading the demo and replacing your files on the SD card. Confirmed that I have to put the Io9 at an angle in the programmer to be able to upload. Do I maybe have a faulty device?

thanks again for your help - I'd love to get this fab little creature under my control
                Sally
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Sally,

Happy New Year. Thank you for the video it has helped a lot.Your IoD-09 isn't faulty, it's just the wrong demo for the display. Although the IoD-09 is code compatible with the larger gen4-IoD's, they use a different graphics library. You can find the IoD-09 demo here https://github.com/4dsystems/GFX4DIoD9 or you will find it in the Arduino IDE under File, Examples, GFX4dIoD9. Please ensure that you have the GFX4dIoD9 library installed in your Arduino Libraries folder. You won't need to add any files to the SD card as you have already copied the required files.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pauleilio View Post
                    it's just the wrong demo for the display. Although the IoD-09 is code compatible with the larger gen4-IoD's, they use a different graphics library. You can find the IoD-09 demo here https://github.com/4dsystems/GFX4DIoD9 or you will find it in the Arduino IDE under File, Examples, GFX4dIoD9. Please ensure that you have the GFX4dIoD9 library installed in your Arduino Libraries folder. You won't need to add any files to the SD card as you have already copied the required files.
                    Thanks Paul - the good news is that was indeed the problem. I had the GFX4dIoD9 library installed but the demo did not appear in the examples (see shot attached) so I had gone down the wrong path.
                    The demo now works but ... is a little underwhelming, e.g no user images - seems to have the functionality but no hints in code or elsewhere about how to exploit; moving widgets does nothing, etc. Is it assumed I will go to the Arduino library reference and figure it all out?

I'm sorry to bother you with all this. If answers are somewhere that you can refer me to please let me know. I'm looking for worked examples of the Io9 going through its paces, so that I can customise them for my own requirements.
                    A genuine Getting Started guide for nerdy creatives with limited time would save us both a lot of hassle.

Thanks again and Happy New Year
                    Sally

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sally,

The Userimages should have worked for you. The IoD9.gci & IoD9.dat are already on your SD card. You could try copying these 2 files again from the examples folder in the library. The Arduino library reference will be very helpful to you if starting a project from scratch. Workshop 4 will also help with it's drag & drop and Paste Code features.

It is no bother at all and I agree with you, a lot can be learned from customizing a working example.

You could take a look at this project http://4dmakers.net/projects/details/iod-09-smart-watch

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thanks for all your help Paul. I am back at work and focusing on other technical issues so cannot return to this until weekend. Tried to recopy the IoD9.gci & IoD9.dat files that you attached (above) to the SD card and re-run demo. No change. Will study the code and return to this later...

Comment

FYI i re-ran the demo code without changing it and this time it worked. I'm guessing that the issue you mentioned with the demo's SD card files at your downloads address was fixed during the week.
                          Studying the demo code, it seems that the code downloads the .gci file each time it runs (gfx.PrintImageWifi("http://www.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/RAW/iod9.gci") so putting correct file on the SD card would not have worked without also changing the demo code to use this local file.
                          And I am still a bit confused because I seem to need on the SD card at least the .dat file you gave me (above) in order for the demo to run, i.e.the download doesnt load all the files needed. Time to learn more about these files....

In any case, am very happy to see the device impress with a fuller range of features and will continue to explore.
                          thanks again
                          Sally
                          Last edited by nerdycreative; 7th January 2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Sally,

I am glad you managed to get the demo working.

On this demo it is only one image as a GCI which is displayed from the 4D server. This image is a once only and doesn't get saved on the SD card, it just displays it. The other GCI & DAT on the SD card are user installed for the userimages etc.

Good luck

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul
                              Now I'm attempting to run the smart watch demo and have identified a missing step I think (downloading and installing the Arduino json library)

However I'm stuck on getting my device recognised by the Coms port

I can see that i need to "make sure that you are connected to the right port". But I see a red button no matter how i position the device in the programmer.

By the way, I confirmed that the IoD9 was recognised as being at Com3 by the Arduino app because I was able to successfully upload a simple program. The problem is only seen in the Workshop app, where it says of Com3 says "device is not responding"

Can you help please

thanks
                              Sally
                              Last edited by nerdycreative; 11th January 2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X