Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot-proof network settings via commandline or configuration file

Hi again,

Which is the best way of changing / configuring the network settings via commandline?

By now, I can change Ip settings via a startup script with the instruction $ifconfig eth0 xx:xx:xx:xx , but it doesn't seem to be a very 'clean' solution, as sometimes I get double IP addresses if a dhcp server is on, etc.

I've seen that there are some configuration files that have some settings such as:

/etc/wicd/wired-setting.conf
    /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/dhcp/dhcp.conf
    ..etc.

but I don't understand which files I am supposed to edit in order to make changes permanent / reboot-proof.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
    Albert

Hi Albert,

If the device is connecting to the same router/network then it is possible to reserve the IP address on that router and it should always connect and be given the same IP address from it's DHCP server.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi pauleilio,

Thanks for your reply.

Of course, that would work in case you have a very standard network with a DHCP server on, but sometimes networks get more complicated, with VLAN's and different subnet configurations in it, etc. and require further configuration.

That is why I am asking for some reboot-proof configuration in order to take control over the network configuration in this board, for instance: static IP, subnet, gateway, dns & dhcp.

Regards,
      Albert

Comment

Hi Albert,

I found this link

https://www.tecmint.com/set-add-stat...ress-in-linux/

It seems to explain the configuration files that need to be changed for a static IP address.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer. A quick update on this. I managed to configure a reboot-proof static IP by:auto eth0
          iface eth0 inet static
          address 192.168.8.25
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          gateway 192.168.1.1
          dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
          hwaddress ether 00:4d:20:17:00:00
          • which also solves the known issue of Armadillo 70 modules booting up with the same MAC Address (00:4de:ad:be:ef) which can cause network problems when using multiple devices in the same network.

Best Regards,
          Albert

Comment

Working...
          X