Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gen4-uLCD-43DCT-CLB connection to Windows 10 PC via gen4-PA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gen4-uLCD-43DCT-CLB connection to Windows 10 PC via gen4-PA?

Guys,

I am having difficulty connecting a new gen4-uLCD-43DCT-CLB to a new Windows 10 PC (Surface Pro 4) via the gen4-PA. I am new to Windows 10.

I have installed the driver from http://www.silabs.com/products/devel...ge-vcp-drivers as instructed. I have updated the driver via Windows device manager and upon doing so, am informed there is a problem with the device (see attached).

Click image for larger version

Name:	error_driver_13jul17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	58792

None the less the display powers up and shows the splash screen when connected to the PC via USB. There are no signs of life on the gen4-PA however I have no reason to believe it is not working.

I am unable to establish a connection via Workshop4 in ViSi Genie to test the connection (see attached).

Name:	error_comms_noport_17jul17.jpg
Size:	612.9 KB
ID:	58793

Is this likely to be a driver/power/hardware problem? Has anyone successfully connected such a device in this way?

Kind regards.

Hello,

This usually works fine. Have you tried restarting windows and then going to device manager to see if the gen4-PA shows up as a com port. If the driver cannot start then for sure you won't be able to communicate with the display.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul,

Yes, I figured it should work fine.

I had already restarted the PC several times before seeking assistance in addition to updating the driver as mentioned (the initial driver installation did not work and gave the same error). I have since restarted the PC several times however the issue remains (see attached).

Name:	error_driver_16jul17.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	58831

Should LED1 on the gen4-PA be lit or show any signs of life during the connection process? The display still powers up OK.

Kind regards

Comment

Hello,

The LED1 on the gen4-PA should flash when attempting to find your display and when flashing the display.

It might be related to windows 10 signed driver enforcement. There is a fix to solve this problem.

These are the steps to follow.

Select the “Start” button.
        Type “startup”.
        Select “Change advanced startup settings“.
        Select “Restart now” under the “Advanced startup” area.
        Select “Troubleshoot“.
        Select “Advanced Options“.
        Select “Startup Options“.
        Select “Restart“.
        A menu will appear where you can press “7” on your keyboard to choose “Disable driver signing enforcement“.

Now Device Driver Signing should be disabled, allowing you to install any driver you like in Windows 10 until you reboot.

Update the driver manually via device manager.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hello,

You could also try and download the driver again in case there was a problem with the first download and then re-install the driver.

You may also find this Microsoft link useful. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...ger-in-windows

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thanks again Paul,

I have completed all the proposed actions including a complete driver removal and reinstall with Device Driver Signing disabled however the issue appears to remain. I have also run the Windows troubleshoot program to no avail (see attached).

Name:	error_driver_18jul17.jpg
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	58859

Name:	error_driver1_18jul17.jpg
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	58860

As usual, the Microsoft link was next to useless and provided commentary on the existence of a problem only...no real solution.

Name:	error_driver2_18jul17.jpg
Size:	939.7 KB
ID:	58861

I note there is a lot of legacy chat on the Silicon Labs forum relating to Windows 10 however the reported issues appear to have been resolved. I also note Silicon Labs offer the option for Serial Enumeration and assume this is of no significance in relation to the driver issues I am experiencing.

Please confirm the gen4-PA has been tested and found to work on Windows 10 Pro x64 with the recommended driver from Silicon Labs (v6.7.4).

Kind regards

Comment

I can confirm that the 6.7.4.261 19/09/2016 driver has been tested on Win 10 x64

Can you try with a different cable to the gen4-PA?

Can you temporarily disable your anti virus program and see if the driver still starts up with a 'driver problem'?

If that fails, can you delete and reinstall the driver with your virus program disabled and see if that solves it?

Since Windows seems to have decided it's a driver issue, rather than a hardware issue, maybe try installing the driver on a different computer?

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark,

After working with three Microsoft Support agents and spending more than 8 solid hours over two nights checking settings and downloading and installing Windows 10 updates I am now ready to disable Windows Defender to see if this provides a remedy as suggested. I have no doubt a different computer is also likely to work...particularly a cheap and cheerful low end generic desktop computer running anything but Windows 10...something a little more capable than this new and otherwise completely clean mid range Surface Pro 4 PC (ignoring all the Microsoft bloatware that for the time being cannot be avoided). Thankfully I am not working on a commercial project in this instance...how on earth could you incorporate and project manage such an overhead into any competitive tender.

As an aside and probably a point better directed to a different forum, I also expected NBN to deliver average download speeds greater than 4.8Mbps at 2330hrs, particularly since we are said to have three NBN connections to our property. I saw regular peak downloads in the high 30's and occasional peak downloads of near 50Mbps however these were very short lived. I have not previously paid attention to download speeds but you soon run out of things to do at that time of the night when you can't also watch Apple TV since it all but stalls the Windows download.

For interest sake the driver is still showing the same error. I have downloaded, installed and updated the driver many many times and via every method available to regular users within Windows. The gen4-PA is connected and is powering the display module but it has still shown no signs of life via LED1. The display module remains powered up when connected to the gen4-PA however it is not visible in Device Manager and the COM port is not listed within Workshop4. I have tried three different USB cables and all of the powered USB ports on the PC and docking station.

I will keep you posted.

Kind regards
                Last edited by None; 21st July 2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Although the driver is showing a 'software error' I'm hoping that can be verified by installing the drivers on a different computer.

If you end up with the same error on a completely different computer, I'd be suspicious that the message should be 'hardware error'
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X