Displaying thermal camera feed with ULCD-32DT on Teensy 3.6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying thermal camera feed with ULCD-32DT on Teensy 3.6

I'm working on building a thermal camera on the teensy 3.6 platform (based on the "DIY-Thermocam" on Github.) That project calls for a generic 5V 3.2" TT LCD Display with 4-wire SPI and resistive touch. The display linked in that project shipped straight from China so I decided to substitute with the ULCD-32DT since it is listed as being SPI compatible and commonly used with Arduinos (essentially it seemed to have all the same features, and then some, from a reliable source).

Now that I received the display Im realizing this hardware might be overkill since all the GUI elements have been programmed already by the thermocam developer...at the same time I'm having trouble figuring out how to use it without these bells and whistles for rapid development.

Most importantly I think I need to use it without 4D workshop since I need to be viewing the live feed from the camera module and cant seem to find a mechanism for doing something like that in 4D workshop.The manual also seems to indicate that the display can only be configured as the master SPI device which seems like it might be a problem. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thank you!

have you looked up 4d systems ucam-III camera, there are demos for that as well in workshop in the samples/examples section, or appnotes on the website, it might give you ideas of how to implement it using the screen. the i2c&spi busses are master, so they will most likely be the ones doing the connection to your thermal imaging camera if needed. The processor on diablo is capable of running 625,000 baud off the uart, and i think it has special bauds that may go faster. That camera, however, uses I2C or SPI, you would need to control it from the screen directly at that point, although it uses UART, you may write your own SPI protocol for the camera in the visi environment

You may checkout the uCAM appnote page for a little insight:

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00114/

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/download...0114_R_1_0.pdf

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by tonton81 View Post
      have you looked up 4d systems ucam-III camera, there are demos for that as well in workshop in the samples/examples section, or appnotes on the website, it might give you ideas of how to implement it using the screen. the i2c&spi busses are master, so they will most likely be the ones doing the connection to your thermal imaging camera if needed. The processor on diablo is capable of running 625,000 baud off the uart, and i think it has special bauds that may go faster. That camera, however, uses I2C or SPI, you would need to control it from the screen directly at that point, although it uses UART, you may write your own SPI protocol for the camera in the visi environment

You may checkout the uCAM appnote page for a little insight:

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00114/

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/download...0114_R_1_0.pdf

Tony
      Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into this. Unfortunately I think that might be time prohibitive - the time I have allotted for this project doesnt really allow for much re-coding (and the bulk of the project is written in python which I haven't used extensively). The idea with using the DIY thermocam project is that it's basically just an assembly job. I had hoped I could just tap straight into the display and control it with the same SPI protocol the other display would have taken. I may just have to bite the bullet and wait for the chinese model...at least it's only $15!

Comment

Hi tothemoon,

Thank you for joining the 4D forum.

I have had a look on the fantastic project you are working on. A very nice bit of kit.

You are correct in saying the ULCD-32DT is SPI master mode only but the module does have 3 configurable SPI channels that can be used to connect to SPI slave devices making it SPI compatible.

Looking at the project the firmware does control the SPI screen directly and communicates with the screen using the screens ILI9341 driver ic and corresponding command set.

The ULCD-32DT has a DIABLO16 processor and as you say is probably an overkill for your application.

Although not impossible with a lot of coding on both sides using a different way of communication, it would add significant time to your project.

Paul

Comment

I see - well I'm sure this display will come in handy on a future project. I use 16x2 character LCDs all the time so I know it wont be long before some piece of instrumentation needs a more robust readout. When that happens Im sure Ill be grateful for the workshop software too! Thank you for looking into this.

Comment

Working...
          X