USB to Serial Win10 problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB to Serial Win10 problems

Has anyone else have huge problems with Win10 64 bit with either the programming cable OR the uUSB-PA5.
    Both used to work fine but any attempt now to run either results in a "Device not migrated" message in the event logs. Tried numerous drivers on two different computers with the same results. Searched the Silicon Labs forums and this one but I've either missed any posts or I'm alone.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Last edited by anzacinexile; 17th September 2017, 12:24 AM.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are having a problem with your programming cable and uUSB-PA5.

Does the com port show in the device manager and if it so, does it have an yellow exclamation mark ?

The only issues we have heard of are to do with windows 10 signed driver enforcement. There is a fix to solve this problem.

These are the steps to follow.

Select the “Start” button.
    Type “startup”.
    Select “Change advanced startup settings“.
    Select “Restart now” under the “Advanced startup” area.
    Select “Troubleshoot“.
    Select “Advanced Options“.
    Select “Startup Options“.
    Select “Restart“.
    A menu will appear where you can press “7” on your keyboard to choose “Disable driver signing enforcement“.

Now Device Driver Signing should be disabled, allowing you to install any driver you like in Windows 10 until you reboot.

Update the driver manually via device manager.

Comment

Thanks for getting back - much appreciated

There is no yellow exclamation mark - indeed, double clicking on the device initially says "This device is working". However, looking into the event logs following your suggestions has removed the "Device not migrated" and it now reports the 2 services started BUT there's a "Device needs additional installation" message and it still wont work. I've tried again installing the drivers but to no avail I'm afraid

UPDATE: Rebooted and the message has changed again to slabvcp.inf and silabser installed followed by the infamous "Device not migrated" followed by "Device install requested"
      Last edited by anzacinexile; 17th September 2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Does your system have any pending windows updates to install ?

Comment

No, machine reports completely up to date
          Interestingly, the problem is also with my other WIN10 laptop, exactly the same issue.
          Since the last time I used the cable successfully there has been a major update, I'm thinking of trying to role back to see if that works

Comment

Hi,

Yes that might work, please let me know the result. Good kuck.

Paul

Comment

Well that didn't work. I can role back individual updates but not one that cranked the build number. Going to have a pop at installing a virtual machine and load up win7 to see if that works
              Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how I get on

Comment

Guess who's been a complete idiot then????

I thought the comms were between the cable and the IDE and the IDE should recognise the USB to serial alone but no, plug a display in and BINGO, it works. Going to punish myself with only 2 beers to celebrate instead of the 3 I promised myself :-)

Thanks for putting up with a numpty, been using your excellent product for years and this is the first time I've shot myself in the foot

Comment

Hi,

That is excellent news. Don't worry we.ve all been there . Thank you for letting me know.

Kindest regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X