RMPET not working in Windows 10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RMPET not working in Windows 10?

It looks to me like Windows 10 requires some sort of additional permission (besides being run as an administrator) to be granted for the raw access necessary to partition a sd card. Have you guys looked into this at all? I'm experiencing the same thing with a utility I built to automatically format my picaso sd cards.

As far as we are aware RMPET works exactly the same on Win10 as it did on previous versions.

It is possible that your Antivirus product could be getting involved and stopping it working.

Just what is it that appearing to not work?

BTW, there is a hidden 'feature' that could possibly be causing issues and that is if Windows finds the remnants of an NTFS file system on a card it will not permit any writes beyond that sector regardless of admin status.
    Mark

Comment

I don't have any antivirus running. When I try to delete the partition table I get a failure message.

This action should just be writing to the very first sector of the card right? I have another program that also writes to the raw sectors of a drive and it gives me a similar error. The program is HxD.

If you guys can use RMPET on Windows 10 then you're right, there must be something unique about my setup that's causing this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RPMET Fail.png
Views:	2
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	60339

Attached Files

Comment

Err, yep, HxD is the program that I verified the 'Windows Feature' on.

And if you want program that can write anywhere, and get rid of the NTFS artifacts, then WinHex can do that, but you will need the licensed version.

Another thing that might work, although I haven't tried it, is to format using Windows and then copy a huge file to the drive. That will hopefully write over the sector that is causing the issue.
        Mark

Comment

Yeah, as I pull out new cards they work, but reformatting something that's already been messed with get's denied... at least in Windows 10. Gotta figure out where I'm going wrong. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Yuk, sounds like your cards are inadvertedly ending up with a sector containing what Windows thinks is an NTFS artifact.
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X