Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z Order in IDE

Hi All,
    I am trying to use a background image which always shows up on top of the labels and other widgets in the Form window on the IDE. I don't see a Z order or "Send to back" option. This would be pretty handy so my labels and buttons have the image as a background. Is there a way to make this work without rebuilding the form in the correct order?

Thanks,
    Thad
    If email spam were the edible Spam, there would be no world hunger.

Hello Thad,

If using Visi, the order of objects placed on the screen is controlled by the user code. In Visi-Genie the order of objects placed on the screen is contrrolled by the order it was created in the object inspector. If you are using Visi-Genie there is no Z order function so it might be best to rebuild the form in the right order.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

you may also, using magic, call up the widgets in the order you want, if you had a host you could do it throgh your host as well.

i dont know if there is any overlay issues but for example if i have a picture and a button on it, but the button was created before the picture, when the screen loads the form the button is hidden, i would call the picture widget by enabling it by using:

WriteObject(tUserImage, 0, 0)

then calling up the button:

WriteObject(tUserButton, 0, 0)

this would put the button over the picture

Tony

Comment

Ok, Perhaps I am not being clear about the issue. In the IDE when I build a form, I place a background image on the form with labels, text and buttons on it. I am using transparent StaticText widgets as labels for Label widgets. If I put the image into the form editor, I have to select each of the items that I want to see on top of the image one at a time in the object inspector. Bleh.
        The transparent part of the static text works great in the IDE but doesn't seem to work be working on my uLCD-32032-P1T. The transparent parts fill in with the form color, not the background image.
        What can I do to fix that?
        So to recap, I can put things in the correct order on the device but they don't look right presumably because the IDE doesn't grab the statictext with the background image under it.

Thanks,
        Thad

Comment

Hello Thad,

I have tried the statictext and it worked perfectly well. Unfortunately I dont't have a display like yours to try it with but I tried it with a uLCD-24PTU which is a Picaso processor like yours.

My setup was

Form0

Bgtype Image
          Image 4D5.png

Statictext0

Transparent Yes

If Labels are being used then this would not work as they are dynamic.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Ok, This works but it was not the way I was trying to do it. I was attempting to do it with an image rather than the form background.

Thanks!
            Thad

Comment

The ..4DGenie file generated on save is a readable text file, and it is easy to re-order object blocks using a text editor.. You should save your project from the IDE, backup the .4Dgenie file, make your changes and save it (or save as a new file), then return to the IDE and reload it. When reloading it make sure you close your old version, then go to the File tab and click Open, you may only get a grey screen if you re-open from the Open tab in Genie. If you mess up, well... you did take a back-up copy, didn't you?

A z-index property has got to be added at some stage, surely?

Comment

Not really feasible, as there is no double buffering
                Mark

Comment

You may be overthinking this. All that's needed is a way to re-sort the object order in the data file, or is there some other subtlety within the display I'm missing?

Comment

Hmm, well if resorting the object order in the data file works for you then fine.

But that is a very long way from a proper Z-order. Section 2 in the ViSi Genie reference manual describes the object ordering.
                    Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X