How to enter a pre-created image into a uLCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enter a pre-created image into a uLCD

Hello, everyone. I'm new here and to the Workshop4 environment.

For my project, I am trying to get a pre-created image (jpg) to show on a Gen4 uLCD 28DT from the Visi Genie environment. That's the simplest setup I felt could do the job, but I would be willing to use another environment if it isn't optimal.

I have a Gen4 uLCD 28DT connected to the PC through a gen4 programming adapter. The LCD lights up when it's connected. The COM dot is blue so I know it's connected. But I'm not sure how to get the image to show on the LCD. What do I have to do?

Hi Eric,

You can do a simple image demo from Visi Genie.

Simply click on the user image widget and then click on the form in the object inspector. The userimage widget is in the System/Media tab.
    An open file dialogue will appear where you can select the image you want to display.
    you can change the size of the image object by dragging the red box in the object inspector.
    Click on (build)Copy/Load insert your sd card into your pc when prompted by the Copy Confirmation Dialog. Then click OK.
    The converted image will be saved on the SD card as a GCI and DAT file.
    The Visi Genie code will be uploaded to the display.
    Insert SD card into display and the image should appear.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply. When I hit (build)Copy/Load, there was no Copy Confirmation dialog.

I was hoping for a way to upload images that doesn't need a SD card, actually. Is there a particular reason why it can't be done through the microUSB and adapter?

Comment

ericshear,

When you followed the procedure given by Paul, did the image appear on the Form of the 4D LCD in 4Dworkshop?
        If yes, please click on Shift-F9 to force build/Copy/Load to copy the image to the uSD card and the Firmware to Flash
        Memory of the 4D LCD..
        You need to copy the widgets & Images to the uSD because of their file size which will not fit
        in the memory of the Graphic processor of the 4D LCD.

Best regards,

Comment

Hello, Paul and Noel.

I did that today and there were no gci and dat files in the SD card. I'm not sure what I'm missing because I can see the image name in the Form (but not the image itself).

Comment

Every time I click on the UserImage widget, the cursor turns into a prohibition sign (circle with a slanted line through it), even though I have my uSD card inserted.

Comment

Hi Eric,

The prohibition sign is normal. When you click on the userimage widget, it becomes highlighted and then you move to the form and then click again.

At that point the open file dialog should appear where you select your image.

After the image has been selected it should appear on the form with a red dotted box around it.

You have the ability to resize the image either by dragging the red dotted box or changing left, top, height and width in the userimage properties.

The process is different for userimages. Userimages accepts a sequence of images. You click on the userimages widget, which again becomes highlighted then you move to the form and then click again.

At that point a red dotted box will appear on the form.

To add an image to the userimages you click on Images in the properties of the Userimages.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Got you on the highlight part. At this point, I've seen the open file dialogs and the resize option with the red dotted box.

What actually happens when I hit (Build)CopyLoad or Shift-F9 is that I don't see a gci or dat file on my intended path. I can't find them anywhere on the computer.

Comment

Hi Eric,

That is good,

We can find out where the gci and dat have been stored on your PC. If I am not sure we they are I usually click on SaveAs and it will open up the save dialog box in the directory where the gci and dat have been saved. They don't show up as files in this dialog box, so you will have to open windows explorer and navigate to that directory.

Have you still not had the copy confirmation dialog appear yet. Usually you select the SD card drive letter in this dialog box.

The SD card should show up as an availble drive letter if your SD card is insterted in your PC.

There is the Rmpet tool in Tools to format the SD card to FAT 16.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Okay, I checked Windows Explorer and there *are* a few dat and gci files on this card from a previous project last year. I still don't see my files there.

I've never seen the copy confirmation dialog so far.

I checked Rmpet and it says the card (Drive E) is still in FAT. I'm ready to format it to FAT16.

Comment

Is it possible you are pressing Shift-F9 rather than clicking the button and some application is intercepting the keystrokes? (eg snagit)
                      Mark

Comment

I checked the PC for SnagIt and it isn't there. I have no idea what's going on.

Pressing (Build)CopyLoad or F9 gets me this:

0 errors
                        0 warnings
                        5 notices
                        Download to Flash successful.

Comment

Returning to the FAT16 thing... I checked the formatting of the drive and it's in FAT. There are options to reformat it to NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT, but no FAT16. Let me know if that's important.

Comment

• ESPsupport
                            ESPsupport commented
                            Editing a comment
                            For some reason FAT16 became known as FAT

Can you use file Zip project and send it to mark at 4dsystems dot com dot au
                          Mark

Comment

• ericshear
                            ericshear commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mark, I sent it to you.

Your project has a BGtype of Color, hence the image is not included in the project.

Thus there is nothing to copy to the uSD, so the prompt doesn't come up.

Change BGtype to Image and try again.
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X