Workshop 3 ver 3.3.0.16 Compiler Bug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop 3 ver 3.3.0.16 Compiler Bug

When using a "multi-line"-style comment i.e., /* ... */ , an unmatched double quote (") inside causes the compiler to give the following message (per my example):

Error: string not terminated (line 7 file:abc.4dg)
    Fatal error: Found 1 unmatched comment block end '*/', starting on line 2 (line 7 file:abc.4dg)

My code example with error on 2nd line:

#platform "uLCD-28PT_GFX2"
    /* "abc */

func main()
    repeat
    forever
    endfunc

Is this a compiler bug or "normal" C-like behavior?
    --Jim R.

Those look like perfectly reasonable generated errors...... the */ is being interpreted as part of the string (since you don't have the closing quote mark), therefore the /* is unmatched......

I'm not sure what else you would expect it to do?

Comment

This is normal behaviour, whether it is classed as a 'bug' or not is debatable.

Many compilers behave the same way in this respect.

For the preprocessor to be able to ignore /* and */ inside a "string" constant,

an opening quote (when found within a comment block) signals to the preprocessor

'skip everything until closing quote found' .

This of course has the undesirable side effect that you point out.

If you find it neccesary to document exactly like what you have shown in your example,

use the // style comment.
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly thought that a delineated comment block had priority over the compiler trying to interpret things inside. Thankfully, the compiler's error message helps to narrow down the problem --once you understand what it's telling you.
        --Jim R.

Comment

Working...
        X