Problems connecting SK-IoD-09TH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Sally,

In Workshop 4 with the IoD-09. 'device not responding' in the comms panel is normal. You will set the comms port in both drop downs to Com3 but ignore the panel message and there is no need to press the red button.

As your Arduino IDE is setup for the IoD-09, you should be able to click on Comp'n'Load and Workshop will control the Arduino IDE and compile and upload to the IoD-09.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

I was having the same problem as Kostas, where it would display the error message:

Originally posted by kostas View Post
      warning: espcomm_sync failed
      error: espcomm_open failed
      error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
      error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
      I also noticed my module was not resetting with either the reset button, or when a download was initiated.

After a good amount of time probing, what I have found is that the 4D-UPA board, as supplied, is not suitable to connect to the display module, as the connections are not reliable. The board I have is a bare PCB with no socket, and it relies on some tension from offset thru-hole pads for the module pins to push against. This is not at all reliable, and a bit of a failure in product design. I had to play with it for some time just to get it to make contact. With repeated inserts, the pin tension will loosen, causing more failure. Sad.

Interestingly, in the watch example video that was referenced in one post, you can see the module displayed with SIP sockets for the module to plug into. Is it so costly to include a few cents worth of SIP socket and eliminate this reliability issue? If this had worked for me out of the box, I would have found this kit to be one of the better ones I've purchased in a long time.

Other than the reliability issue with the programmer, the module does appear to work well, and I'm looking forward to playing with this. Now I just need find some SIP socket to use.

Regards,
      Danyal M.

Comment

Hello Danyal,

Welcome to the forum,

I am sorry to hear you had a problem with your UPA and connection to your Io and welcome your feedback..

In testing this method of connection was found to be convenient and reliable and allowed the UPA to be configured for many 4D display's. In addition, it is also designed so the customer can decide to fit male or female headers in any configuration to suit their own needs be it for an IoD or for any other USB to serial purpose. Some customers who have used the IoD as a serial device connected via a USB have used male headers and cables to connect to the IoD for better positioning in a panel etc.

I hope you enjoy exploring your IoDs many features.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pauleilio View Post
          Hello Danyal,
          In testing this method of connection was found to be convenient and reliable and allowed the UPA to be configured for many 4D display's. In addition, it is also designed so the customer can decide to fit male or female headers in any configuration to suit their own needs be it for an IoD or for any other USB to serial purpose. Some customers who have used the IoD as a serial device connected via a USB have used male headers and cables to connect to the IoD for better positioning in a panel etc.
          Paul,

Thanks for the welcome.

I understand the reasoning of not pre-installing sockets on the UPA, which is used for multiple displays. It's convenient for these other display module configurations, as well as being convenient if you want to install the IoD-9 in a different way. However, I can't conclude the same about the reliability of just inserting the IoD-9 module into the bare board. It's pretty clearly not reliable -- at least two people in the last month have reported on this forum of this reliability issue, having to manipulate the module to get it to make good contact. It's so difficult to get it to make a reliable contact that it's impractical for me to use.

Bottom line is that I bought my setup as a kit. This included the UPA and the IoD-9 display, and the first out-of-the-box impression I had was that it doesn't work. I was about to put it on a shelf, but eventually I found this post of someone else having reliability issues, and I realized that it does work but it's impractical for me to use. I can't remove the module to reprogram the SD card for example, without having to spend a lot of time to get good contact again. I don't have SIP socket on hand, so that is something I now have to wait a couple of days for. It's pretty frustrating to have payed for something that you can't really use as-is.

Can I make a suggestion? Rather than install the SIPs, maybe you can include them with the IoD-9 kit for the user to install as they see fit. If they see them, they will use them unless they already have a different use. Like I said, if this worked right off the bat, I would consider the kit one of the best ones I've seen in a long time, and definately a really good value

Hello Danyal,
          I hope you enjoy exploring your IoDs many features.

Best regards

Paul
          Paul, as soon as I get the SIP socket, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this. It's a very nicely designed product. Thank you.

Regards,
          Danyal M.

Comment

The UPA is designed for programming only and is hence only meant to be used intermittently for short periods.

If you wish to use it to permanently power the device you should add headers to the UPA so that the IoD-9 is plugged in.
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
              The UPA is designed for programming only and is hence only meant to be used intermittently for short periods.

If you wish to use it to permanently power the device you should add headers to the UPA so that the IoD-9 is plugged in.
              Mark could I suggest that this information goes in the datasheet.

Danyal I have had the same struggles as you . Am really keen on releasing the potential of this elegant device Had just decided to solder in some female headers because continually struggling with the positioning to get good contact after removing and reinserting the SD card is very tedious.

Dont think the device likes it so much either. The ceramic header has just fallen off although I can still get Wifi reception today (touch wood)

One question I have for anyone who has run the example code.

It works but I have studied it carefully and cannot explain why the parts of the code that require data from the SD card (e.g. the User Images Demonstration) do not work when no Wifi connection is made. As I understand the code, it should get this data from its local SD card.

Any ideas?

Sally.

Comment

Hello,

The demonstration code was created to show the IoD's ability to connect to the internet and display an image stored on the server as well as display data stored on the SD code.

Many apologies if the code is affected by a no internet connection

I will have a look at the code to see if a failure to connect prevents the IoD from continuing with the rest of the demonstration and I will post a rectified demonstration here.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by nerdycreative View Post

Mark could I suggest that this information goes in the datasheet.

Danyal I have had the same struggles as you . Am really keen on releasing the potential of this elegant device Had just decided to solder in some female headers because continually struggling with the positioning to get good contact after removing and reinserting the SD card is very tedious.

Sally.
                  That's a good compromise suggestion Sally. Yes, if they can't stomach the $.03 to include SIPs for the user to install if they see fit -- even though it seems like everyone seems to conclude that they are needed for reliability -- it would be useful to have come across this information in a more readily accessible place.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,
                  Danyal M.

Comment

Hi,

Modified IoD demonstration, It will now continue without internet connection.

Best regards

Paul
                    Attached Files

Comment

• nerdycreative
                      nerdycreative commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Paul

Hi Sally,

In the WS4, the red button only works for the gen4 HMI display module, in the side of it you can see the Arduino Comms drop-down menu box. Select the port for your IoD-09 and load the program.

Click image for larger version

Name:	srkvn.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	61615

Comment

• nerdycreative
                      nerdycreative commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Mark - I guess the WS4 recognises the IoD-09 as an Arduino rather than as a display. Makes sense.

One more question, the ceramic antenna fell off my IoD-09. I still get some reception.
                      Can I just superglue it back where it used to be? If yes, should I put the glue underneath or at the sides?

• Mark Kevin
                      Mark Kevin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi nerdycreative,

The ceramic antenna should be soldered back to its location. Super glue may hold it in place but the connection on the solder points may still not be connected.

There seems to be an issue with the SD card files for the demo. Could you please try replacing IoD9.gci and IoD9.dat on the SD card with the 2 files in the attached zip.
                    FYI, those new files, if they're truly a cause of issues, didn't seem to make their way onto the Github repo. I'm wondering if the repo was updated with whatever's in the zip file from post #24, as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	SnipImage(2)-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	62884

Comment

The problem was that I had not used a connector between the IoD-09TH and 4D-UPA module and there was not make good contact between the two. By moving the IoD a bit with patience, I got a good contact and everything works perfectly, both the and the communication between both.

Comment

Hello Dania,

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you worked that out! Although the friction fit works great, I would recommend soldering female header pins to the 4D-UPA especially if the display will be attached/removed multiple times.

Best Regards,
                        Michael
                        Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X