IoD Serial Port Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IoD Serial Port Issues

Hello.. first time here and may not be posting in the correct place.. I am using Gen4-IOD-32T with 4D-UPA. My PC finds the serial port (I loaded drivers) and it is listed in Workshop 4 as COMM 5. The display is on..showing splash screen. The problem is that while Workshop sees the commport, it says Device not Responding. I have tried another display, UPA and cable to no avail. At this point.. I'm trying to get Hello World. This is most likely something stupid that I am doing.. but cannot find it. TIA.. Dan

Hello Dan.

Welcome to the forum,

The Comms information panel is not used on the IoD series of displays so you can ignore the message. So long as the the right com port (COMM 5 in your case) in the Arduino comms drop-down menu is selected then you should be good to upload your Hello World example.

You caqn also confirm that the IoD is setup correctly by trying it with the Arduino IDE.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul.. thanks for the response. I tried it with Arduino IDE and get an error when I try to download:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows Store 1.8.10.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Generic ESP8285 Module, 80 MHz, ck, 26 MHz, 1M (no SPIFFS), 2, v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 115200"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\DanHP\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_691132\core\core_esp8266_esp8266_esp8285_CpuFrequenc y_80,ResetMethod_ck,CrystalFreq_26,FlashSize_1M0,led_2,LwIPVariant_v2mss536,Debug_Disabled,DebugLeve l_None____,FlashErase_none,UploadSpeed_115200_d97066237978bde3c011d08ac7baf758.a
      Sketch uses 246119 bytes (24%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1023984 bytes.
      Global variables use 32244 bytes (39%) of dynamic memory, leaving 49676 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.
      warning: espcomm_sync failed
      error: espcomm_open failed
      error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
      error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

This report would have more information with
      "Show verbose output during compilation"
      option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Comment

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the information.

The selected board is showing as the wrong type, You should be selecting the '4D Systems gen4 IoD range'. Also I think you are using the Arduino App instead of the Arduino IDE Windows Installer version.

You can download the Windows Installer version here.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Once you have done that you will have to follow the instructions in the datasheet for installing the board.

https://www.4dsystems.com.au/product...heet_R_1_2.pdf

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Ok.. Arduino IDE installed/modified and downloads ok. I didn't have a Hello World program to try with screen in that environment so just did an empty loop.
          W4 first says Com5 is red.. continue? I say yes.. then Device not Found.
          Thanks,
          Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

You may have to restart Workshop 4 after installing the Arduino IDE, Workshop needs to find the Arduino IDE so it can control it for uploading code. Now that the ESP8266 core and gen4 board are installed in the Arduin IDE it should be able to find them when it restarts.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

No joy.. same error. Is there a log or something I can send you?
              Thanks,
              Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

I will try and emulate the same scenario as you on another PC. I will get back to you as soon as possible with a solution.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Dan,

I re-created the same steps and Workshop was still able to find the IoD, If the Arduino IDE is now ok then it should have now been found by workshop, maybe a PC restart might help. We can ignore the messages in the comms window and just use the Arduino comms drop down to select the right port.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul.. got a little further.. downloaded new version WS4.. chose the correct board..no error now seems to compile but no download either. last message is
                    Completed RC = 1
                    Thx,
                    Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

That is getting better. The Board is now recognised by Workshop 4. RC = 1 means that it hasn't been succesful. Does this still happen when you try again. A first build of an ESP8266 can take some time and it is likey that a timeout has been reached before the build has finished. Could you try opening the same project in the Arduino IDE to see if it uploads ok.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X