Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uCamIII Jpeg Image Size Question

Hi guys!

We are seeing 2 different uCamIII cameras providing different jpeg image file sizes where one camreas image will never go above 40,000 bytes even when pointed towards the sun to make the image bright and another uCamIII camera will provide images that are 70,000+ bytes in size when outside in bright lighting.

This is causing bufffer issues and were working with limited Micro Controller memory.

Could these uCamIII camera moduels be running different firmware where one has better jpeg compression than the other one?

Any Advice?

Were working on this in this forum thread if your intersted:

https://community.particle.io/t/help...40170/20?u=rwb

The uCAM-III has more onboard memory than the uCAM-II and hence can produce a higher quality image.

As you would expect because the quality is higher the compressed image takes up more space.

If, as you say, both cameras are uCAM-IIIs then check the focus and other other ambient information as the camera makes a judgement call as to the optimal jpeg compression to best represent the 'RAW' image. The resolution setting also comes into this, of course.
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
      The uCAM-III has more onboard memory than the uCAM-II and hence can produce a higher quality image.

As you would expect because the quality is higher the compressed image takes up more space.

If, as you say, both cameras are uCAM-IIIs then check the focus and other other ambient information as the camera makes a judgement call as to the optimal jpeg compression to best represent the 'RAW' image.
      Yes, were both using the new uCam-III cameras with the same Particle Photon micro controller running the same code.

We have a web interface that allows us to control the camera and have the picture it takes show up on a webpage on your local network as shown in the image below:

‚Äč

For the guy who wrote the code for this can never get the uCam-III to take a JPEG 640x480 image that goes above 40,000 bytes in size.

In brightly lit images my uCam-III will easily generate images larger than 40,000 bytes in size which causes issues since we have limited memory to work with.

I have seen image sizes of 72,476 bytes while the other guy taking bright outside images can't get the uCam-III to come anywhere close to that.

Just curious if the cameras could be running different firmware or what could cause my camera to produce images of 70k bytes when the other guy can't get the camera to generate JPEG's over 40K bytes.

We have a third guy who will be testing this same setup this week so we will see what the max image size he gets is.

Is there a maximum image size the uCam-III can generate?

Comment

All the uCAM-IIIs have the same firmware (as do all the IIs and all the Is)

72K is the max AFAIK and it seems to go down in 'chunks', due to the way JPEG compression and the camera work.

As I said, the size depends on the business of the image, and sometimes moving the camera slightly to the left or the right will change the apparent business and hence the image size.

Also adjusting the focus can change the image size.
        Mark

Comment

Thanks, we will play with the focus and see how it affects the image sizes and report back.

Knowing the max image size is 72k is helpful also.

How c lear can the images from this camera get? I have not been able to get a really sharp focus yet but that maybe that's my fault.

Do you have any example pictures you can share so we can get an idea of the quality that's possible from these cameras?

Comment

Sorry, example pictures would just add confusion.

It's almost impossible to create any pre-defined picture in any easily repeatable way, so they wouldn't really be worth much.
            Mark

Comment

The other guy was able to get his camera to generate larger images after playing around with the focus on his camera.

Thanks for the tips on max image size and focus affecting image size.

I'm actually impressed with the cameras low light images, they are much clearer than expected in dark conditions.

Comment

Working...
              X