Arduino sending data to serial monitor, not display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino sending data to serial monitor, not display

Hi all, I'm trying to run this code example with the matching 4d program that I downloaded from the website, slightly modified to work with my setup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------
    #include <genieArduino.h>

Genie genie;

// Displaying Temperature Readings from a Host
    // 4D Systems
    // This Demo communicates with a 4D Systems Display, configured with ViSi-Genie.
    // The display has two LED digits objects for displaying temperature in degrees Celsius and Fahrenheit
    // This sketch comes with a documentation (4D-AN-P4015 ViSi-Genie - Displaying Temperature Values from a Host)
    // Download documentation here: http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnotes/

int tempC; //holds temperature readings in degrees Celsius
    int tempF; //holds temperature readings in degrees Fahrenheit
    int sensorPin = 23; //Vout of LM35 is connected to A0 of Arduino host

void setup()
    {
    Serial.begin(9600);
    // a few options to talk to the Display, uncomment the preferred serial port and baud rate
    // make sure that the ViSi Genie program has the same baud rate
    genie.Begin(Serial); //Serial0
    //Reset the Display (change D4 to D2 if you have original 4D Arduino Adaptor)
    //See the app note 4D-AN-P4017-ViSi-Genie Connecting a 4D Display to an Arduino Host
    //for information if using jumper connecting wires
    pinMode(2, OUTPUT); // Set D4 on Arduino to Output (4D Arduino Adaptor V2 - Display Reset)
    digitalWrite(2, 0); // Reset the Display via D4
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(2, 1); // unReset the Display via D4

delay (5000); //let the display start up
    }

void loop()
    {
    tempC = ((5.0 * analogRead(sensorPin) * 100.0) / 1024) + 2; //signal level sampled from sensorPin is converted to a temperature value. Do calibration if needed.
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_LED_DIGITS, 0x00, tempC); //Write to Leddigits0 the value of tempC
    delay(50);
    tempF = tempC * 9 / 5 + 32; //Convert temperature readings in degrees Celsius to degrees Fahrenheit
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_LED_DIGITS, 0x01, tempF); //Write to Leddigits1 the value of tempF
    delay(50);
    }
    ​​​​​​​------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------​​​​​​​------------------------------------

However, the Arduino doesn't actually seem to be sending anything to the display--I checked on the scope to be sure. I am getting random garbage in two-character pairs onto the serial monitor, and I see the garbage no matter what baud rate I set the monitor to. Simply closing the monitor did not solve the problem either.

I can get the GTX tool to communicate with the display just fine, and have run a few 4d sketches just fine as well. I am running both the 4d program and the Arduino program at a baud rate of 9600. My Arduino (a teensy 3.2) appears on my computer as Port 50, and the 4d display appears as Port 13. I am not having any problems with the 4d display other than communication issue, and am not having any problems running other programs on my teensy either.

Hello,

You seem to be on the right track, however I would recommend using another Serial port for talking with the display and using a non- blocking delay on the mainloop. You could try modifying your code to make it look more like this:

Code:
    #include <genieArduino.h>
    #include <SoftwareSerial.h>
    SoftwareSerial SoftSer(4,5);
    Genie genie;

// Displaying Temperature Readings from a Host
    // 4D Systems
    // This Demo communicates with a 4D Systems Display, configured with ViSi-Genie.
    // The display has two LED digits objects for displaying temperature in degrees Celsius and Fahrenheit
    // This sketch comes with a documentation (4D-AN-P4015 ViSi-Genie - Displaying Temperature Values from a Host)
    // Download documentation here: http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnotes/

int tempC;           //holds temperature readings in degrees Celsius
      int tempF;           //holds temperature readings in degrees Fahrenheit
      int sensorPin = A9;  //Vout of LM35 is connected to A0 of Arduino host

void setup()
    {
      Serial.begin(9600);
      // a few options to talk to the Display, uncomment the preferred serial port and baud rate
      // make sure that the ViSi Genie program has the same baud rate
      SoftSer.begin(9600);// this could also be another Serial port
      genie.Begin(SoftSer);  //Software Serial
      //Reset the Display (change D4 to D2 if you have original 4D Arduino Adaptor)
      //See the app note 4D-AN-P4017-ViSi-Genie Connecting a 4D Display to an Arduino Host
      //for information if using jumper connecting wires
      pinMode(2, OUTPUT);   // Set D4 on Arduino to Output (4D Arduino Adaptor V2 - Display Reset)
      digitalWrite(2, 0);   // Reset the Display via D4
      delay(100);
      digitalWrite(2, 1);   // unReset the Display via D4

delay (3500);         //let the display start up
    }
    unsigned long Prevtime;
    void loop()
    {
      unsigned long Currtime = millis();
     if (Currtime - Prevtime >= 50 || Currtime - Prevtime <= 70){
      Serial.println("Printing celsius");
      tempC = ((5.0 * analogRead(sensorPin) * 100.0) / 1024) + 2;  //signal level sampled from sensorPin is converted to a temperature value. Do calibration  if needed.
      genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_LED_DIGITS, 0x00, tempC);         //Write to Leddigits0 the value of tempC
      }
      if (Currtime - Prevtime >= 100 || Currtime - Prevtime <= 120){
      Serial.println("Printing fren");
      tempF = tempC * 9 / 5 + 32;                                  //Convert temperature readings in degrees Celsius to degrees Fahrenheit
      genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_LED_DIGITS, 0x01, tempF);         //Write to Leddigits1 the value of tempF
      Currtime = Prevtime;
      }
    }
    Serial0 is usually used by the PC to communicate with the microcontroller, that's one of the reasons I choose to use another serial port to talk with the display. Another reason would be for debugging purposes. On the main loop I used a Serial print command to ensure that the program is entering the if conditionals.

Could you check your wiring?

I don't have a teensy 3.2 with me but I believe your circuit should look something like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAmple for teensy.png Views:	1 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	63862

Note: Please rewire the Rx & Tx pins on the teensy if you're using a different Serial port

You might also want to check this forum thread:

Teensy 3.1 / 3.2 and 3.2" Picasso not communicating
    https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/forum...-communicating

Best Regards,
    Michael
    Last edited by michael_4D; 6th June 2018, 06:47 PM.
    Michael

Comment

Yep, that seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

Comment

Good to hear that,

If you have anymore inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
        Michael
        Michael

Comment

Working...
        X