X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gen4 PA - GPIO to relays

35DCT using gen4 PA

Form 0 - LogoScreen // activate menu
    Form 1 - 8- 4DButtons// attach Pin Output (pulse 5000) - no Report Message attached to Pin Output or 4D Button
    Form 2 - same as Form 1

I have successfully powered on my display and loaded program to flash and saved Program files on SD card then mounted.

I used the gen4 PA- GPIO to connect to 8 channel relay. I pushed buttons and nothing happened. I read in the app notes this morning to attach Report Message to controller. Do i have to do the same if its just going straight to the relay from the PA -GPIO

I connected power and ground from relay separate. I tried connecting power and ground from gen4 PA for relays but my screen froze and needed restart.

Buttons set to Momentary.
    relays are Arduino compatible. - TTL voltage

Thank you
    Last edited by darondc; 27th June 2017, 07:30 PM.

if you used 2 different power sources, make sure your grounds are tied, else the signals wont work

Comment

35DCT using gen4PA

Form 0 - LogoScreen // activate menu
      Form 1 - 8- 4DButtons// attach Pin Output (pulse 2500)
      Form 2 - same as Form 1

Success: its working...woohoo

Changes made are : attached Report Message to Pin Outputs
      Common Ground needed for PA - GPIO and relays
      assigned Pin Outputs to GPIO (PA0, PA1, ect. ect.)
      Exceeded power source on PC using NeoPixels and relay. Changed power source of relays to PA -GPIO for testing purpose.

NeoPixels running from Arduino Mega 2560
      Relays running from gen4 PA - GPIO's

Next isssue: Figure out how to get 2 relays with same button and separate On times.
      Figure how to do an Analog sensor.
      Start build for project.

Comment

one button to toggle 2 relays that shut off by themself at different times is possible with millis() example, "blink without delay" example in arduino

Comment

A lot of common issues can be found here ...
          http://forum.4dsystems.com.au/forum/...8120#post58120

Comment

"Multiple pin output objects can use the same pin. It is the user’s responsibility to manage such usage in a reasonable way."

In order for this to work, I would need an input to initiate the output, correct? I can not just set a pin output to pin and expect it to work.

So, how do I attach another output to button if its only letting me set 1 output to that button?

Comment

You can do it in code like pin_HI(pin) or pin_LO(pin) or in Genie where you can do an event which triggers the other pinout.
              - PinOutput0 Events : OnChanged -> PinOutput1Set
              Last edited by Kingpin; 5th July 2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

35DCT-CLB to 8 channel relay.

Just completed getting buttons assigned to correct relays Had issues with Button to PA assignment. I then looked at the PA GPIO map and saw my connections to relay were wrong according to GPIO layout. adjusted accordingly. Working good, looking good.

I still have issue with getting 1 button and 2 relay to work at same time. Mayb possible with Magic Code. I do not know. If I could use Magic Code, i do not think will be possible with my inexperience with code. I can not see the code to understand what i need to add.

Oh, i do have an issue at Start up. I power on my display, and one my my relays turn on Automatic and will not turn off until i touch a separate button. After that, all buttons and relays work perfectly.

Comment

You can do it without code.
                  At the pinout event of one PinOutput you can assign at "OnChange" the other pinoutput.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180510_002943340.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	64022
                    I am having an issue with what I would call a bounce. I press the button, output to relay is on, then instead of turning off, it seems to bounce on again then either will turn off, or will just stay on and not turn off. The on time for relay is about 1500. Oh...and then the screen will freeze then I have to reset power supply.

I have completed my project with just this minor glitch.

I know Mr. Paul wanted to see this, so I have attached pic. Hopefully we can catch up to complete a couple other things. I thank you all for assistance and help to get this done

Comment

Hello darondc,

I made a test using Genie Magic and sampled a set-up using a relay controlled by a Gen4 display and didn’t experience any problem like yours. Additional details about the project and the code, if possible, may help us narrow down what caused the freezing of the screen. With regards to the ‘bounce’ issue, you could try applying how the Debounce in Arduino example works to your code. You can see more of its discussion in https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Debounce.

I have attached a working set-up using Genie Magic environment that controls a relay and LED response.

Hope this helps!
                      Attached Files
                      Danica

Comment

• darondc
                        darondc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you for reply.
                        I also had the same results with just a relay connected. It was after when I connected a 12V diaphragm pump with a 2ft suction head that i experience the bounce. I have an idea as to why I get a bounce. I am thinking I either need a resistor on the relay or a capacitor on the pump. I am still looking to find out which. As far as the screen freezing, I really do not know why it does. If it works, it will only work for a few(display) button presses then freeze, or, it will just not stop running, then either way, I have to reset power. Most of this now for me is going to have to be discussion. I am working in Afghanistan and not at home with my project. I do however, have the file with me on my Gen4 program on my PC.

Hello darondc,

To open a ViSi-Genie project with magic code objects, please start your WS4 PRO trial period by going to File -> Options -> License, then click on the "Start Pro Trial" button.

Regards,
                      Doff

Comment

• darondc
                        darondc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Doff,

Thank you for reply, I have already purchased and have used the magic code in my project. I use it for something different than discussed above. This also needs some fine tuning. I got it to work and I use it for a gauge set up, but i need to get the numbers adjusted so the gauge works properly. I really like the project I have made and i get alot of compliments from friends using it. Just a couple minor fixes and the project will be ready to post.

Hello darondc,

You’ve mentioned that you’re still thinking of modifying the components of your project and will do some troubleshooting with it. I suggest that if you still encounter problems, don’t hesitate to visit the forum again. We wish you good luck in finishing your project.

Regards,
                      Danica

Comment

Danica,

Sorry for the delayed response, I just have been so busy with work and other things. I was reading about mayb adding diodes to my 12v DC pumps. I know this is off topic from your display system, but I just wanted to let you know what i am thinking to resolve the pumps turning on again after 1 button press. I wont know until September as i work in Afghanistan and will be home at that time. I dont have my display with me, so I cant sit with it here and work on it. Mostly just discussion on trying to figure something out.

Thank you

Comment

Hi Darondc,

We wish you all the best in completing your project. Our forum is always open for your future inquiries.

Best Regards,
                          Last edited by Danica; 20th July 2018, 10:24 AM.
                          Danica

Comment

Working...
                          X