Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with files over 4gb

Hi there,

i have a video i want to display which is over 4gb and there seems to be all kinds of issues, such as how the SD card is formatted etc. how exactly do i go about using files larger than 4gb?

thanks

2GB is the max FAT16 file size, so that's the first hurdle. The next is the 4GB FAT16 partition limit.

For the first you could have two separate files and transition from one to the other.

For the second you will need to place the file on the uSD in RAW format.

You can transfer the RAW file using ScriptC and C:\Users\Public\Documents\4D Labs\SCRIPTS\PC\WriteuSD.4DScript (you only need to transfer the GCI file)

To then play the video you need to use the media_* type commands.
    Mark

Comment

thanks for the reply, i had another think about it and managed to compress the file by converting it and got the video file down to 200mb (its 220x220 with 43249 frames) it seemed strange that it was so large considering how small the video is.

but now i have a new problem. trying to use the file in the workshop causes it to crash. what could be causing that?

Comment

The vids are stored on uSD in raw format, so 220*220*2*43249=4,186,503,200, which is 3.89GB, so not sure where 200MB came from.

Did you submit a bug report?

Perhaps try a different format
        Mark

Comment

no this is not after they are stored on the SD card these are the source files. so basically i made a video file 220x220 pixels 43249 frames and when i exported it from after effects the file size was 5.84Gb.

the 4D workshop accepts that but wont load it onto the SD card obviously.

i then ran that file through a converter program that managed to reduce the file size to 29.1Mb (sorry the 200 was a typo) but now if i select the file and try to drop it onto the display the program hangs.

both files are AVI, i assume the second one is using some kind of compression that means individual frames are extrapolated maybe?

i have sent a bug report but it said that the error was "the operation cannot be performed because the pins are not connected" which sounds unrelated.

but does that mean that the very smallest the file could ever be (and still be RAW) is 3.89Gb? does that mean that it gets round the 4Gb max partition size but not the max file size?

Comment

AVI is one of those files types that is a multitude of standards.

Because the file is saved in a RAW format the input size is fairly unimportant, the output is always W*H*2*Frames

Workshop uses Directshow to capture videos and split them into RAW images to create the .GCI files. Thus Workshop should be able to read any video format that Media player can. If you get a 'Pins are not connected' type error for a video that Media player can play, this means either the Video is explicitly 'copy protected', or the 'Codec' that renders the video either deliberately or inadvertedly has prevented Workshop from adding a 'frame grabber' to capture the video. So try saving the video in a different format, or reprocessing it to a different format.

The .wmv format should always work.

Yes, that's right. If I had/needed a 3.89GB file, I'd probably go for RAW format, to avoid having to split it into two and process it that way.
            Mark

Comment

ok thanks for the help,

so does that mean that even if i start with a 5.84gb file, it should still convert it to 3.89 regardless because it captures the frames?

how do i load the file in raw to avoid splitting it?

Comment

Yes,

Use the method I mentioned in Post #2
                Mark

Comment

i mean could you could you go into more detail about this scriptC thing? what is it, how does it work etc?

Comment

ScriptC is a command line program you can find in C:\Program Files (x86)\4D Labs\4D Workshop 4 IDE\Dep

You can run it with /? to see parameters and arguments.

You can edit the scripts with a normal text editor, the one mentioned contains comments about how to run it
                    Mark

Comment

thanks for the reply, but i have a new problem, during the process of creating the .GCI file, the workshop just shows a progress bar that never seems to finish. the progress bar is at about 95% and has been for the past 3 hours. the program hasn't frozen, because the progress bar still has its "shiny effect" which suggests the program is doing something, but it hasn't moved. if it takes this long to create the file then thats going to be a problem. i will leave it going for the rest of the day, but i feel like its not actually making any progress

Comment

Unfortunately Windows 'Generates' the shiny effect and can generate it even if nothing is happening and the program has 'stopped'.

Since the GCI is on the large size can you check that the HDD isn't full and the 'current' size of the GCI? (Maybe there is a message 'underneath' telling you what is wrong?)

If you still can't work it out, use File, Zip Project and email it to me mark at 4dsystems dot com dot au.

If the .zip is to large, will you be able to file share it with me?
                        Mark

Comment

ah yes well spotted, even though my SDcard is a 4Gb card it formats at 3.6 and the file is 3.9 so that is the problem, i will try with a larger card

Comment

urgh, it seems i cannot format a card to be FAT16 and get exactly 4GB, some size is lost to the FAT, and the workshop will only let me write to SDcards in FAT16 so i cannot create the file so i can write it to the card in RAW.

Comment

Working...
                            X