Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write variables to flash

Hi,
    I would like to have some variables that maintain their values through power cycles, I believe to do this I need to write the variables to flash.
    I have had a look at the app notes, but it only gives an example of writing a file from the micro SD to flash.

How can I achieve this?

I've attached a program that uses flash storage in bank 0 as variable storage.

Note that for a larger program the location in the bank will need to be moved.

Of course you could also change it to use another bank.
    Attached Files
    Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark!
      I have gotten this to work but have a few questions:
      1. Why are *block[1024] and *ndt[6] declared as pointers? Does it have something to do with the "dest" argument of flash_Copy? From the internal functions PDF: "dest Pointer to the destination. The destination pointer is byte aligned, so a str_Ptr must be raised to get correct address."
      2. The comments say "Must give a flashbyte > 'code size' + 17". Obviously this is only if using bank 0. And I realise you have to write a whole page at once. But just as an example, let's say my code size is 137 bytes, what is the first byte I can freely use in flash? Byte 154 or 155?
      3. What is the average time required for flash_WriteBlock to execute? I ask this because I'm writing to flash inside a pin counter OVFfunction that overflows every falling edge (counter is set to 0xFFFF every time it fires) and the pulses are up to 25Hz. If flash_WriteBlock takes a significant time to execute, I will have to consider writing to flash less often.

Comment

1. This isn't C, in 4DGL all the * does is to prevent a notice if the variable is indexed. Those two variables aren't indexed so the * is not needed, and is probably misleading (you, for example)
        2. 155, but, of course since the blocks are 2k aligned, it's higher than that
        3. I think you can write to flash that fast, try setting up a timer beforehand and reading it out afterwards to see how fast it is. But even so, it's not a good idea, Flash doesn't have an infinite life expectancy (10,000 cycles according to the datasheet), so try writing to it as infrequently as possible.
        Mark

Comment

Correction!

block and ndt should not be declared the way they are in the original sample, they should indeed be

Code:
          var block[1024], *hndl, ndt[6] ;
          as these are arrays, not pointers to arrays
          Mark

Comment

Haha, thanks for correcting the information after so long, Mark! Great support!

Comment

Hi,
              I'm interested in the example code, but I can only see a blank page.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am programming an application were the user can preset some values from screen and have them after a power-off. I am using the method you described in this post, i.e. writing in a block to flash when the user want to change the present value and reading them from flash just after start.
                Which are the drawbacks of using flash memory? I guess one must be totally sure to not overwrite the program code itself. What but the number of cycles writing/reading in flash? Is there any limit?
                I need to "stored" just 20 bytes, is there another most efficient way to do it?
                The method is working, I am just curious about if it is the correct one for my application.

Best regards

Comment

Hello,

The write flash limit is many tens of thousands of flash write cycles so you are very unlikely to hit this even with a display power cycled daily. It is good self contained efficient solution.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the help pauleilio. Another question related with writing into flash. Is there any way to write to flash just before a reset?
                    Best regards

Comment

Hello,

It would only be possible if the code knew that a reset was going to happen eg if the reset was a software generated reset or there was a signal recieved to let the code know a hardware reset was about to happen. It wouldn't be possible to write to flash when there is a hardware reset.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X