Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• communication between PIC and uLCD

Hello,

I'm a french teacher and I bought some 4D systems screens a few days ago.
    I would like to interface a uLCD-MKI (not the v2!) with a microchip microcontroller.
    But I have several questions about that :
    * Is it compulsory to insert a 1k resistor on the both TX-RX lines ?
    * What about the transfer mode ? uLCD uses a asynchronous serial mode,
    but how many bits, what kind of parity, ... ?
    * Is it necessary to test the acknowledge of the uLCD before sending another
    command ?
    * How long do I have to wait between two operations ?

Thank you very much for your help.

I would like to interface a uLCD-MKI (not the v2!) with a microchip microcontroller.
    This is a very old module and we do not manufacture it anymore. However we are more than happy to help.

* Is it compulsory to insert a 1k resistor on the both TX-RX lines ?
    No it's not compulsory but it is advisable, only between the PIC Tx and the uLCD Rx. Also depends on what voltage your PIC is running at?

* What about the transfer mode ? uLCD uses a asynchronous serial mode, but how many bits, what kind of parity, ... ?
    8 bits, no Parity, 1 Stop bit

* Is it necessary to test the acknowledge of the uLCD before sending another command ?
    No, but the acknowledge reply lets you know when the uLCD has completed the previous command and when it's safe to send the next command. If you have enough delay between commands then you don't have to test for uLCD reply.

* How long do I have to wait between two operations ?
    Different commands take different amounts of time to complete. We do not have any timing data for each command, not necessary because the uLCD responds back when it has finished the command. However, you can go thru each command and make some timing measurements. The slowest command is Change Background colour.

Hope this helps....
    Atilla

Comment

Working...
    X