Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uUSB-MB5 not detected

Hi,
    I just got a USB-MB5 modue with a µLCD-24PT(SGC) display and I followed instructions to install the driver and restarted, but it still is not detected under windows XP, and no additional ports in device manager.
    the red LED lights up ,and when connected to the 24PT display, the display powers up and shows the splash screen.
    I have tried three different PC's but no luck. I have also tried different usb cables.
    any help would be really appreciated.
    thanks

Hi
    i still have'nt been able to get the usb-mb5 working. tried 2 laptops, 2 pc's. red light comes on, 24pt display powers up, but no new hardware found in windows.
    if its a defective module, how do I get it replaced? i bought it online from this website.
    any suggestions?

Comment

Get in touch with the place where you've purchased the unit from, explain the problem.
      Edit: Sorry, just noticed you bought off the 4D shopping cart. Email [email protected]
      Atilla

Comment

Does the tool referred to here 'see' it http://4d.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2990300&trail=#1 ?

It certainly does sound like a faulty MB5.

You aren't using the (very rare) 64bit XP version are you?

If you are still having problems email [email protected]

There should be an extra comm port added and removed as you insert and remove the device.

When you said you tried different USB cables, were they good quality cables? Some of the really thin and cheap have difficulty working with almost anything
        Mark

Comment

Thanks. will email support.
          the cables I tried were good quality ones, I know the thin ones you mentioned, but these were the good ones.
          well, hope I get it exchanged for a working one. I'd have thought this should have passed QC before being shipped.

Comment

Hi,
            is it necessary to download the serial PmmC file to a factory shipped µLCD-24PT(SGC) so it will accept serial commands?
            I've hooked it up to a Picaxe, am following working examples from others who've had success, including raising the Rx pin high, pause 2 secs, send "U", etc, but still just get the spash screen after 5 secs.
            i've tested that the serout does work from my picaxe using a standard 16x2 LCD, so only other thing left is whether I need to download the appropriate Pmmc file.
            of course, I can't do that until I get the USB-MB5 replaced. have sent a mail to support.

Comment

It should come from the factory with the 'latest' PmmC ready to go. There have been no updates to SGC since this display was released, so it should also be ready to go with the latest PmmC.

Are you sending the 'U' at 9600?

Have you got the TX and RX lines the right way around?

I presume you mean pause for two seconds after power is applied (before sending the 'U', which is important), I'm not sure what you mean by "raising the Rx pin high"
              Mark

Comment

Hi,
                I am sending the U at 9600, however its "true" serout and not inverted which I presume it should be.
                I have double and triple checked the TX and RX, I'm sending serout on the uLCD RX pin and checking for ack on the uLCD TX pin (with respect to the MCU).
                I am pausing for 2 or 3 seconds on power up before sending the U, but I'm raising the uLCD Rx pin high on power up. the picaxe forum users who got this working mentioned its necessary to prevent any false autobaud command starting.
                However I have tried without raising it high, but no difference.
                So sequence is
                power up
                raise uLCD Rx High (have tested without)
                wait 3 secs ( i have tested from 2 to 4 secs)
                send "U"
                wait for ack.

I have'nt checked if I do get an ack or reply back, so thats my next test, to also connect an oscilloscope to the Rx and Tx pins to see whats happening.
                not sure what I'm doing wrong if anything.
                one user who got an OLED module had the same problem as me, but he fixed it by downloading the serial PmmC. thats why I was wondering if I need to do it for this module.

Comment

You are definitely right in the PmmC department.

GFX, the other PmmC option, is not available for the 24PT yet.

If you have never seen the difference between the splash screens before it can be a tad confusing, but really the SGC splash is colorfull and static. The GFX splash screen is green and blanks out after a few seconds.
                  Mark

Comment

Hi
                    I finally got the 24PT lcd working.

i was basically following the pinout from the USB-MB5 usb interface module, and that had J2 pin 2 as Rx (the one next to +5v) and pin3 as Tx printed on its pcb, and since it plugs into the display header pins i assumed it would be correct. But then I checked the display datasheet and found that pin 2 is actually Tx and pin 3 is Rx.

So just reversed my serout and serin pins on my microcontroller, and it worked perfectly.
                    Not sure if the printing on the USB-MB5 is incorrect or is intentional, but that is definitely misleading.

Comment

The standard is that TX and RX are the particular devices TX and RX, so they swap over at the connector, i.e. TX connects to RX and RX connects to TX.

So everything is correct, although it can be confusing the first time you see it in action (i.e. not hidden inside a cable)
                      Mark

Comment

yes, now it makes sense, the Rx and Tx printed on the MB5 are its own Rx and Tx pins, for some strange reason I assumed it was the display's Rx and Tx as the +5v, reset and ground pins corresponded correctly to the display pins.
                        the support folks have kindly sent me a replacement, so hope to get that soon.

I might post this on a different thread but how is the touch screen and button press detected and transmitted to the mcu? using the same Rx Tx pins or using the GPIO pins? or does the display need to run a script to control touch screen buttons and accept serial data from the mcu at the same time? can it do that?

I basically need to create a search and list function for all image files on the uSD card, so by highlighting and clicking a file name, it opens up the image.
                        at the same time, it would display values from the MCU in a seperate region.
                        what would be the best approach for this?

Comment

You 'poll' the touch screen for activity using normal SGC commands. It will tell you if a touch has occurred since you last poll and you can also find out where, you don't need 'real time interrupts' or anything. it happens concurrently with other activity.

If you want to detect multiple button presses on your screen you just get back where the touch (press) happened and calculate the actual button in your MCU.

What you are talking of doing could be written in 4DGL / GFX2 without problems, but if you need your MCU for other things there is no reason why it couldn't be done in SGC.
                          Mark

Comment

will the 4dgl pmmc be available for the 24pt anytime?
                            what i wanted to do with listing image files, then selecting one and displaying the image is not really feasible with an mcu as it can poll and retrieve the region thats touched, but it won't know what file it corresponds with.
                            so instead, can i have a 4dgl script running from the usd to handle this list and image display and at the same time display values from the mcu on top or in a separate region?

Comment

None of the CE-5's I've ordered from here have been bad, but out of about 30 uDrive modules purchased, 4 were dead on arrival, yet marked with a green sticker as "OK". Be careful to let these guys know right away instead of waiting like I did.
                              --
                              Roger Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X