Finger sized buttons - best approach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger sized buttons - best approach?

I have the 32PT currently in GFX mode and I'm attempting to make a keyboard with buttons large enough for fat fingers to use (as apposed to a stylus).

I don't want blocky looking characters on the keys and it seems using the gfx_Button() function gives me blocky characters when I increase the height and width.

I've just started looking at loading a button image and placing text on that but I'm thinking I'll have the same problem with blocky text.

How would you guys tackle this? gfx_Button(), loading images (Can I use one image multiple times and still have image_Touched() report the right image index?) or some other way?

How do I get a larger font to show without it turning blocky?

you could make one graphic for the full keyboard and use the x and y to get the button pressed - otherwise I would do 2 graphic for each key - pressed and not pressed - then change it on image_touched and release

Comment

I would probably make images for each character in separate program. I t will be much cleaner looking and you can still use image touched. Tedious, but cleaner look and coding. Instead of having two images for each key you can use the img_darken() to simulate a press and even move the coordinates of the image a few pixels down and right momentarily.

Comment

I used Photoshop and a Googeld Tutorial to create nice buttons. Since it is an image, you can use whatever font your drawing program supports so you avoid the issue of blocky characters. The buttons were very simple to make, the only challenge I had was making sure that the different sized buttons fit nicely together. When making a rounded corner rectangle in Photoshop (that's oxymoronic - a rounded corner rectangle), you can specifiy the exact size you want instead of dragging and praying that you get close.

After that, I am doing what chopperwalker suggests with the image darken on touch. I haven't tried to shift a couple of pixels but I bet that would add a nice feel. I inlcuded a drop shadow on my buttons but since my display sadly doesn't support transparency, I don't get to use it so I am using a plain black background. I have also purchased a small buzzer motor to add a slight vibration when the user presses a button. I wanted to get a positive indicator that the button was in fact pressed since, in my case, the user is very likely not going to be looking at the screen at the time. I can't wait to test this out as well.

Luck,

Wade

Comment

Did you guys ever have a look at the way the 'keyboard.4dg' demo works?

It's not as elegant as some of the things you are trying to do, but it emulates what most PDAs / Phones / Handhelds do
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X