Picaso GFX and SSD1963?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picaso GFX and SSD1963?

First, I freely admit to being a newbie when it comes to LCD displays, although I do have some background in digital electronics & programming.

For my project, I really like what the uLCD modules have to offer, except for one thing - size. At a max of 3.2" diagonal I'm left wanting a bit more.

Newhaven has a nice 480x270 4.3" TFT display which is just right for me. Of course, it has no controller chip. It appears the Solomon SSD1963 fits the bill. It appears it can be configured with the 16 bit CPU bus the Picaso chip requires.

From searching the archives it appears others have gone this route to make a bigger display, but I still have some confusion based on support responses to questions.

It seems people were doing this with SGC chips, but I'd like to use the Picasso GFX chip with the SSD1963 and Newhaven display. But before buying parts I want to make sure this is possible. I'd like GFX because it looks like it would allow me to build the user interface in the display rather than burden the microcontroller with all this work, leaving it to do the real-time stuff. (I'm using the Parallax Propeller).

I get the impression that the DISP tool is need to configure the Picaso chip to the display's parameters. There was some discussion that indicated DISP only works with SGC and not GFX, and that what the user would need is GFX2. GFX2 seems to be out now.

However, in reading the docs on Picaso GFX I can't figure out if it will or won't work. There doesn't seem to be any information either way.

So I guess my first and foremost question is, can I use the Picaso GFX to talk to the SSD1963 to control the Newhaven TFT panel?

TIA for everyone's guidance.

Brian
Working...
X