txt_MoveCursor() problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• txt_MoveCursor() problem

Hi, i am doing a qwerty keyboard, thanks to 4D Systems for helping me whit the graphic composer. I am trying to do the backspace function but i founded lots of issues. For example, txt_MoveCursor() doesnt change when i put the screen on landscape mode it keeps whit portrait mode: this is column (horizontal)^ this is line (vertical) | |I found that so i correct it in my program but i am getting and extrange behaviour, for example i write a text, the keys are returned by the function get qwerty, the function return the character pressed, returns -1 if no one pressed: gfx_Cls(); gfx_Set(SCREEN_MODE, LANDSCAPE); txt_MoveCursor(0,0); txt_Set(FONT_SIZE, FONT3); txt_Set(TEXT_OPACITY, OPAQUE); txt_FGcolour(WHITE); img_Show(img_qwerty,ALL); txt_Wrap(280); repeat j := get_qwerty(); if(j == BACKSPACE) if(cursor_x > 0) --cursor_x; txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x); endif putch(' '); else if(j == BACK) gfx_Set(SCREEN_MODE,PORTRAIT); return;
    else
    if(j != -1)
    print( [CHR] j);
    ++cursor_x;
    endif
    endif
    forever

What i do is to count in a variable i have the actual position of the cursor. If press BACKSPACE key i return 1 cursor position and put ' ' to delete de previous character and when i put that ' ' the cursor is increased by one. The problem i am having is that when i write the text and press BACKSPACE for the first time it delete ok:
    Hello people how are you

When i press BACKSPACE five times for example:
    Hello people how ar

But when i write again:
    Hello people how ar e

And the when i delete 2 times for example:
    Hello people how a e

Hope you can understand me. I think the problems comes from the first time, if i delete and when i write again it write whit an space the cursor i am counting is diferent from the real one in the LCD. So the obvious solution is to add this:
    --cursor_x;
    txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x);

After putch(' '); but it is what happen:
    Hello people how are you

I press BACKSPACE once
    Hello people how are yo

One more time:
    Hello people how are o

And when i write:
    Hello people how arey o

It strange, hope you can understand me.

Gee, I'd typed up a reply but lost it when you deleted the original copy of this and reposted it.

So I'm not going to retype it.

Just have a think about where X and Y are after the putch(' ') ;
    Mark

Comment

:S :S sorry i clicked wrong i wanted to click on preview and click on post is there any way to recover it?
      I suppose if Y doesnt change X should be on the right side of the space putch(' '), if i delete the cursor is in the right side of the letter i have deleted and when i write putch th cursor is in the right side of that ' ' right?

Comment

Right, and where should it be and where is it relevant to cursor_x and cursor_y? You want them to be the same don't you?
        Mark

Comment

The cursor must be in the left side of the character i have just deleted. So when i return 1 position i am behind the character i want to delete, the i print putch(' ') so i am in the right side of the character i have just deleted and then to come back where i start i return the position which was increased because i print putch(' ') that is how it work but for some reason always apear an error it doesnt have sense.

Comment

Gee, you may have described the process correctly, but that's not what your code does
            Mark

Comment

gfx_Cls(); gfx_Set(SCREEN_MODE, LANDSCAPE); txt_MoveCursor(0,0); txt_Set(FONT_SIZE, FONT3); txt_Set(TEXT_OPACITY, OPAQUE); txt_FGcolour(WHITE); img_Show(img_qwerty,ALL); txt_Wrap(280); repeat j := get_qwerty(); if(j == BACKSPACE) if(cursor_x > 0) --cursor_x; txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x); endif putch(' '); if(cursor_x > 0) --cursor_x; txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x); endif
              else if(j == BACK)
              gfx_Set(SCREEN_MODE,PORTRAIT);
              return;

else
              if(j != -1)
              print( [CHR] j);
              ++cursor_x;
              endif
              endif
              forever

That should be the correct way, i decrease a position, write, and then decrease again but i have the error :S.

Comment

Well that will be different to you last try, but it's still not right.

Try walking through your code, writing down changes in variables and cursor positions on a piece of paper.
                Mark

Comment

There is any way of see the cursor position of the LCD? No pixel position, cursor position. Because when i write the character i increase my cursor_x because i suppose that cursor of the LCD is increased right? But what increase the LCD line or column because they are inverted in landscape

Comment

You could always putputch('_');
                    txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x);

at the start of your main loop.

Not only will it show you were you are going wrong, but even the code itself give a hint as to why you are going wrong.
                    Mark

Comment

Please have a look at the serialKeypad.4DG demo to get some fundamental understanding. (look at the updateTextBuf() function)
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

gfx_Cls(); gfx_Set(SCREEN_MODE, LANDSCAPE); txt_MoveCursor(0,0); txt_Set(FONT_SIZE, FONT3); txt_Set(TEXT_OPACITY, OPAQUE); txt_FGcolour(WHITE); img_Show(img_qwerty,ALL); txt_Wrap(280); repeat j := get_qwerty(); if(j == BACKSPACE) if(cursor_x > 0) --cursor_x; txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x); endif putch(' '); txt_MoveCursor(cursor_y,cursor_x); endif
                        else if(j == BACK)
                        gfx_Set(SCREEN_MODE,PORTRAIT);
                        return;

else
                        if(j != -1)
                        print( [CHR] j);
                        ++cursor_x;
                        endif
                        endif
                        forever

This is the right way because i decrement my cursor and the cursor of the LCD, when i write it increase the LCD cursor and i wasnt increasing my cursor, now i return to the last position i was just behind the character i deleted .
                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X