GOLDELOX-GFX2, Related Display Modules and Softwares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDELOX-GFX2, Related Display Modules and Softwares

This section of FAQ for "GOLDELOX-GFX2, Related Display Modules and Softwares" covers all the frequently asked questions related to,
    1. GOLDELOX-GFX2 processor
    2. uOLED-96-G1(GFX)
    3. uOLED-128-G1(GFX)
    4. uOLED-160-G1(GFX)
    5. uLCD-144(GFX)
    6. FONT tool and GOLDELOX-GFX2
    7. Graphics Composer and GOLDELOX-GFX2
    8. 4D Workshop3 IDE and GOLDELOX-GFX2
    9. Miscellaneous

Q01. Do I need Reset line to program a 4DGL code to the module?

Ans. Yes you do need Reset line for programming a 4DGL program, it is a part of 4DGL program downloading protocol.

Comment

Q02. If i dont set the Baud rate in the 4DGL code and use serin() and serout(..), what baud rate does it start with by default?

Ans. It starts with 115200 Baud by default.

Comment

Q03. Can i use FAT formatting on the uSD card in a GOLDELOX-GFX2 based display module?

Ans. No, you can't use FAT formatting. It's not supported by the GOLDELOX-GFX2 processor, you would have to use the card in raw format.

Comment

Q04. What is the maximum baud rate i can achieve with a GOLDELOX-GFX2 based display module?

Ans. You can get up to 600K Baud.

Comment

Q05. Can I use custom displays with the GOLDELOX-GFX2 processor?

Ans. Yes, you can use displays that provide 8bit 80-Series CPU interface. You would need to use the generic GOLDELOX-GFX2 PmmC and do the initialization in the 4DGL code.

Note: Ideally, contact 4D Systems for a final verdict about a display's ability to be interfaced with the GOLDELOX-GFX2 processor.

Comment

Q06. Does GOLDELOX-GFX2 processor have live video input?

Ans. No, it doesn't have live video input.

Comment

Q07. Can I save my variables in to the internal Flash of the processor?

Ans. No, you can't. If you wish to save permanently, you should save in to the uSD card.

Comment

Q08. Does GOLDELOX-GFX2 processor support 8bit images?

Ans. No, it doesn't. Please make sure the images/videos/animations you set in the Graphics Composer software tool are 16bit.

Comment

Q09. Why are there two PmmCs for the uOLED-128-G1(GFX) module?

Ans. uOLED-128-G1 module was initially manufactured with UG-2828GDEDF01 display (Driver IC SSD1339). That particular display was discontinued early 2010. Therefore an equivalent display UG-2828GDEDF11 (Driver IC SSD1351) was introduced and is still in production.

-uOLED-128-G1GFX-R21.pmmc is for the Display modules with older displays (Display UG-2828GDEDF01, Driver IC: SSD1339)
                    -uOLED-128-G1hGFX-R21.pmmc is for the Display modules with newer displays (Display UG-2828GDEDF11, Driver IC: SSD1351)

Comment

Q10. How would i know if i have a uOLED-128G1(GFX) or uOLED-128-G1h(GFX)?

Ans. uOLED-128-G1 boards with Rev1g and below are with older displays (Display UG-2828GDEDF01, Driver IC SSD1339), while the boards with Rev1h and above are with the newer displays (Display UG-2828GDEDF11, Driver IC SSD1351).

Note: Check the back of the board, you should see the board revision something like the one shown in the attached images.
                      Attached files

Comment

Q11. Why are there two PmmCs for the uLCD-144(GFX) module?

Ans.The display used on the uLCD-144 initially was with ST7735 Driver IC which is discontinued. It was discontinued by the end of 2010. Therefore an equivalent Driver IC ST7735R is used.

uLCD-144GFX-R21.pmmc (Driver IC: ST7735)
                        uLCD-144rGFX-R21.pmmc (Driver IC: ST7735R)

Comment

Q12. How would i know if i have a u uLCD-144(GFX) or a uLCD-144r(GFX)?

Ans. Check the image attached. On the warranty label there is an "R" written in Block letter to specify a uLCD-144r module. The warranty labels are pasted on top of the uSD connectors on the module. Attached files

Comment

Q13. Do I need to buy a USB to Serial converter with a GFX configured module?

Ans. Yes, You need to buy a USB to Serial converter with a GFX module.

-It allows you to update the PmmC file in case an upgraded GFX PmmC file is released.
                            -It allows you to download the 4DGL program to the module.
                            -It allows you to change the configuration from GFX to SGC (or vice versa) by loading appropriate (module specific) PmmC file.

Note: We strongly recommend to buy one of our USB to Serial Converter because they provide Reset Signal which is needed as part of the PmmC programming protocol. There are third party USB to Serial Converters available but they do not provide Reset Signal which is where users get stuck trying to load the PmmC.

Comment

Q14. Can i upload the PmmC file or a 4DGL program using my own controller?

Ans. No, you need to use the Windows based software tool to load the PmmC/4DGL file to the module. It cannot be done through any other controller.

Comment

Working...
                              X