µLCD-144(GFX) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• µLCD-144(GFX) Question

I would like to buy the µLCD-144(GFX) to get it to play videos.

I have very little knowledge of electronics though I do play with PIC Chips.

This will be the first time ever playing with LCDs.

I looked at the data and it says:
    "Note: You can always switch between GFX and SGC by installing the PmmC file from the product page."

What is GFX and SGC ? Does it matter to me ?
    I just want it to be able to play videos stored in an SD card and maybe two input buttons for prev and next.
    If I don't press anything, the video will loop.

Have a look here:-
    http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=120
    and click on the "GFX or SGC" tab for an explanation.
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Thank you

What is the default Pmmc that the LCD will be delivered to me in ?
      SGC or GFX [This is what I would want from the description.]

Comment

They are promoted as separate products.
        uLCD-144(GFX): http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=120uLCD-144(SGC): http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=121

Strongly recommend you get a programming cable for pmmc updates and for downloading your 4DGL compiled code in to the module.
        Atilla

Comment

Thank you Atilla.

So I get this:
          http://shop.4dsystems.com.au/4dgl-display-modules/259-3010.html

and this:
          http://shop.4dsystems.com.au/usb-to-serial-converters/288-4d-programming-cable.html
          [I suppose this cable is use if I want to program by connecting it to my Computer's USB ?]

That "cable" is the programmer ? or it attached to an actual programmer...
          Do I need to get the programmer ? or the LCD IS the programmer too ?

Sorry these are very new to me and I have questions

Comment

Inside the cable is a small circuit module that converts the USB signals from the PC to the Serial signals required by the display module, so that's all you need. Essentially the programmer is inside the cable. It also supplies +5V to power up the display module so you don't need a separate power supply.Next step is to download and install the 4D Workshop3 development software tool suite. The WS3 has the following tools integrated within it:
            • Editor: This allows you to write/save/open 4DGL programs.
            • Compiler: This allows you to compile the high level 4DGL program into the byte code that will reside inside the GOLDELOX chip.Downloader: This will use the link established by the programming cable, between the PC and the display module, and transfer the compiled 4DGL code into the GOLDELOX chip's flash memory and program it.
            There are also other essential software tools within the WS3 suite. For example, the Graphics Composer
            software tool will allow you to prepare images and video clips and write these to a micro-SD memory card which you can playback and display from within your application program. This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujLQWtAxYA[/video]]example on youtube demonstrates what can be achieved.
            The above example along with many other examples are available within the WS3 example folders for you to try. There are some examples in Codebase that you can also try (this section will be regularly updated with more examples). If you run into trouble, just come back here and post your question and you'll be able to get help from our moderators and many other seasoned users.
            One last thing, I realise people don't like to read data sheets and user manuals (I'm guilty of that myself but at least have a browse thru and more often than not the answers you're looking for are there. This will save you time and head scratching. All of the resources for the uLCD-144(GFX) are available in the 'Downloads
            ' tab section of the product page. Hope this helps!
            Atilla

Comment

SGC PmmC:
              By loading the SGC (Slave Graphics Controller) PmmC, the module is 'ready to go' by simply connecting it to the serial port of your favourite micro-controller, and sending serial commands to it.
              The Serial Command Set for PICASO can be found here:
              PICASO-SGC-COMMANDS-SIS-rev6

[hr]GFX PmmC:

By loading the GFX (Stand-Alone Graphics Controller) PmmC, the module is then like a microprocessor which you program, using the 4DGL language (very similar to C), to control the internal graphics and external interfaces.
              The 4DGL language command set and functions for PICASO can be found here:
              PICASO-GFX2-4DGL-Internal-Functions-rev2

Hello Atilla, I heard from you earlier on that:
              "They are promoted as separate products.
              uLCD-144(GFX): http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=120uLCD-144(SGC): http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=121"

But from what I see from the product page it seems to, by what I have pasted here, indicate that changing it from a GFX to a SGC is nothing more then uploading/changing the Pmmc file using the Pmmc loader.

So...what's going on here ?

Thank you

Comment

Nothing's going on.

A lot of people have trouble telling which is which and get confused because they think they have one when they actually have the other. Sometimes they try to mix commands bewteen the two.

So marketing them as two separate products is merely an attempt to make the difference more marked so that users will not get confused.
                Mark

Comment

Soo....erm....they are the same then ?
                  The only different is the pmmc file which we can change right ?

If the answer is yes, my confusion will end

Comment

The answer is YES!! so hopefully no more
                    Atilla

Comment

HTML Code:
                      Thank you, the confusion has ended [img]/images/boards/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have another question, I am now reading up on the 4DGL IDE Guide to get ready and I came across this:

[quote]
                      Click ‘New’ to start a new program. 
                      Select the Platform from the Platform selection Combo box. 
                      Connect the module to the Computer. 
                      Select the com port,  the module is connected to.  The colored circle to the 
                      right of the com port will normally turn blue, hover over the circle or the com 
                      port combo box to see a hint with details of the module connected to  that 
                      com port.  See the figure.  (The comports are automatically scanned when 
                      WS3 is started, or when devices are inserted, to force a rescan click on the 
                      colored circle) 

Note: Before above step, make sure you have installed the GFX2 PmmC file to the module using the PmmC 
                      Loader. 
                      [/quote]

Should I load the PmmC file before I start ANY of these steps ?
                      Aren't the module loaded with their respective GFX file already hence I don't have to worry about that ? [Assuming I bough the GFX version].

It stats "select the com port", since I will be using the 4D Programming Cable, what am I to do with this option ?

Thanks.  

Comment

The PmmC only needs to be loaded once, so you won't need to do that step.

The 4D Programming cable does use a Com port, when it is plugged in a new com port will be added (probably the highest number com port)
                        Mark

Comment

It will be created automatically ?
                          If that is the case shouldn't the IDE detect that ?
                          So....what I need to do is to select the highest Com to make sure it is programming the module right ?

Comment

Eveything is explained on the product page.

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=138
                            Mark

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X