User Interface of Graphics Composer 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Interface of Graphics Composer 3

This time I will put it this way: do you know about the quality of this software or are you interested in hints for improvement? It would take some time to list everything...

I gladly refer to my post where I suggested an open-source release of your IDE.

Honestly, did you debug this thing? I tried moving entries up and down in the list with drag & drop. It creates duplicate entries or renames them. So I have to recreate the whole list or know exactly what graphics I will need before composing the collection?

Version 3, luckily for your there's no defined standard in software versioning, because I'd expect a grown up application behind that number.

Comment

Honestly, did you debug this thing? I tried moving entries up and down in the list with drag & drop. It creates duplicate entries or renames them. So I have to recreate the whole list or know exactly what graphics I will need before composing the collection?

Thank you for your report, could you please document HOW you ended up with duplicates as we are unable to recreate here.

Version 3, luckily for your there's no defined standard in software versioning, because I'd expect a grown up application behind that number.
      We use the standard in software versioning that says 'A complete rewrite is a major version number change'. If you've used version 2, you would definitely understand that version 3 is a complete rewrite, not a single line of V2 is in V3.

All such undertaking involve bugs, and since Windows by its nature gives you the opportunity to achieve many things in different ways it's quite likely that you may discover bugs that were not picked up during testing.

Similarly, if you don't report those bugs we have no way of fixing them.

So, please a) report bugs and b) suggest improvements. We are listening
      Mark

Comment

Ok, here we go. The list is of no particular order, I just took notes while working on my set of graphics:
        • On the Edit dialog for an item, Open dialog does not store the previously used folder. (btw. the Open dialog for adding new files does so, that's good)
        • List of items: no button to remove item and when using the Del key on my keyboard, the selection jumps to the first item. Either allow the selection of multiple items or keep the selection in place so I can keep hitting Del.
        • This way I was able to reproduce the duplication of items: Add a bunch of files, then drag & drop the last item in the middle. After the first drop nothing changed, after a second try there were be two changes: The item I dragged and dropped was be added twice. One with the correct filename, the other with the filename of the item I dropped my item on.
          Oh, now I saved the file and the list is completely messed up. I tried removing the duplicated item, but now it has been replaced by the first entry. -> I have to recompile the list now. This, among the things to come, explain the tone with which I wrote my posts yesterday.
        • When in drag & drop I have no idea where the item will drop, because there's no "preview".When you resize the application window, only the Screen size panel moves to the bottom. If you don't use the additional space, I suggest preventing a window resize. Especially because I can make the window smaller than it makes sense.
          What has the Edit button to do with the name? Why is it behind that text field?
          When I try to change the image of an existing item it is not updated in the preview on the right as long as I don't open and close the Edit dialog a second time.
        Will go on while using it...

Comment

When selecting a bunch of files in the Add / Open dialog, files aren't added in the order they were shown in the dialog. Instead the file I last selected in the dialog is added first. While you are working on this, I suggest an alphanumeric sorting and not simply lexicographical.[list type=decimal][*]a1.png[*]a2.png[*]a10.pnginstead of
          a1.pnga10.pnga2.png[/list type=decimal]

Comment

This list of items is contained in a standard windows listbox, the way that it works, when asked to do everything that it does in this application has some 'quirks'
            List of items: no button to remove item and when using the Del key on my keyboard, the selection jumps to the first item. Either allow the selection of multiple items or keep the selection in place so I can keep hitting Del.

You select multiple items by holding the CTRL or SHIFT key down to select multipl items, DEL then deletes all the selected items.

This way I was able to reproduce the duplication of items: Add a bunch of files, then drag & drop the last item in the middle. After the first drop nothing changed, after a second try there were be two changes: The item I dragged and dropped was be added twice. One with the correct filename, the other with the filename of the item I dropped my item on.

Sorry still can't recreate it, and I spent way too much time trying. There is a quirk with the way the item is selected for sure, but I can't get it to end up with duplicated entries.

When in drag & drop I have no idea where the item will drop, because there's no "preview".

You get the cursor changing to an arrow with a document, it means it's going to drop it before the pointed to entry.

When you resize the application window, only the Screen size panel moves to the bottom. If you don't use the additional space, I suggest preventing a window resize. Especially because I can make the window smaller than it makes sense.
            What if you are about to stretch the image to use that space? Damn hard to do if you prevent the window resize. Similarly making it too small makes sense for huge images.

What has the Edit button to do with the name? Why is it behind that text field?
            The edit button is in the first available place relevant to the entry, where would you think it should be?

When I try to change the image of an existing item it is not updated in the preview on the right as long as I don't open and close the Edit dialog a second time
            Yep, thanks
            Mark

Comment

When selecting a bunch of files in the Add / Open dialog, files aren't added in the order they were shown in the dialog. Instead the file I last selected in the dialog is added first.
              Actually they are, it just seenms like they aren't.

Once again, the standard windows file open dialog is used, before clicking 'Open' have a look at the list of files in the 'File name' field. The files are added in that order, which isn't the order you clicked on them.
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X