Want to use uVGA as an Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to use uVGA as an Terminal

Hi there,i want to use uVGA as an textbased (old-style) Terminal.
    Playing around with the FAT-program i found out that there is no way (that i found)
    to scroll the lines with characters fast enough
    up, to make place for a new lower line.
    At the moment i use the uVGA-SGC firmware.
    Has anyone wrote an program for fast scrolling text for the uVGA-GFX?
    Unfortunately i have no experiences in programming in C or 4DGL.

Best Regards,
    Frank

This guy has shown how to do it in 4DGL http://4d.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5263756

You can't get access to the relevant registers in SGC to do it there (at any rate you'd still need code to drive SGC somewhere else, why not do it all in 4DGL?)
    Mark

Comment

Thanks for your answer,
      the example of scrolling from autologic works fine.
      But why is it not possible to include a hand full instructions in SGC "language" for adjust the pointer of the grafic-chip relative to display-RAM?

Frank

Comment

It is possible.

It just seemed that for a terminal style application you would be better off using 4DGL.

Surely it's easier to write a 4DGL program to do this than try and do it using SGC commands?
        Mark

Comment

But as write above, i have no experiences in programming 4DGL.
          Yesterday i looked how the example from autologic works and how it is realized in 4DGL. i understand, that i have to learn for a long time the 4DGL language.
          My project is a very little one, so i want to spent not too many time for this.

Frank

Comment

Hi Frank,

4DGL doesn't take too long to learn, as long as you know another functional programming language (Pascal, C, etc.). For that scrolling program in 4DGL, I only had the uVGA for about 2 weeks, that demo took me a few hours, and that was only because I played with different commands (for the SSD 1963) to see what would happen. As you can see, I did use a pretty good set of 4DGL language/functions in that demo.

As you also might know, any questions one may have seem to get answered very fast on this forum, so you really might want to take a day or two and find out if you can get comfortable with 4DGL.

Best Regards,

---autologic

Comment

Hi autologic,
              you make me hopeful.
              My languages are Basic and a little bit 8080 Assembler.
              For my serial Terminal i also have to program an ATMEGA for decoding a PS/2 keyboard and a "master" for the uVGA-modul.
              I buy the uVGA-modul as i think, that i have no trouble with the part of display-hardware.

Regards,
              Frank

PS.: Sorry, for my bad english

Comment

Frank wrote: For my serial Terminal i also have to program an ATMEGA for decoding a PS/2 keyboard and a "master" for the uVGA-modul.
                Hi Frank,
                It seems for what you want to do, the effort to learn 4DGL is worth it.

No need to use the ATEMGA to decode the PS/2 keyboard - use the uVGAII and 4DGL to do that. I have a program to do that (it's very,very small), it decodes PS/2 Scan Set 3, works the keyboard LEDs, etc., then sends out the ASCII codes to a different microcontroller board from uVGAII serial COM1.

I've been asked a few times to post a tutorial on it, which I will do (just been very busy), because the scrolling and a PS/2 keyboard makes the uVGA into a very nice little I/O 'server' so your microcontroller can do other things.

Your English is fine.

---autologic

Comment

I have a program to do that (it's very,very small), it decodes PS/2 Scan Set 3, works the keyboard LEDs, etc., then sends out the ASCII codes to a different microcontroller board from uVGAII serial COM1.
                  Hi Autologic,
                  that is exactly that, what i want to do.
                  The program for the ATMEGA8 which decode the PS/2 keyboard (also set 3) is already working. But your all-in-one sulution is the better way.
                  I want to use that for an older 8085-training microcomputer. Original in there is an videocard that shows 64 character and 18 rows. Also on the card is a keyboard-interface for an 8bit parallel keyboard with strobe. The video-out signal is composit b/w. The communication to the 8085 goes over a serial connection.
                  Because i can't get such old keyboard and video-monitors, i want to go the way with the uVGA. Then i can connect modern VGA-flatscreens and standard PS/2 keyboards.

Regards, Frank

Comment

When i try to program my terminal-solution,
                    i can't address the Cursor for linenumbers greater than 59.
                    The text in line 60 or greater does't appear.
                    But this is nessessary for the image that is scrolled up.

Regards, Frank

Comment

I have no idea what you are up to in your code, but if you are using an 8 bit high font and a 480 pixel high screen then 59 is indeed the maximum line number.

To write to line 60 you would scroll the screen up 8 pixels and write to line 0 (presumably after clearing line 0 using a black filled rectangle)
                      Mark

Comment

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delay, I was very busy.

Look at this new thread, I think you'll find what you need here:
                        http://4d.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5467872&pid=1270003989#post1270003989

---autologic

Comment

To write to line 60 you would scroll the screen up 8 pixels and write to line 0 (presumably after clearing line 0 using a black filled rectangle)
                          Thanks ESPsupport,
                          i now solved my "brain-error".

@autologic,
                          i can't see your attachment in the linked thread.

Regards, Frank

Comment

@autologic,
                            i can't see your attachment in the linked thread.
                            They are 'visible' now Not sure why the forum sometimes does that
                            Mark

Comment

The version works so far.
                              Issues are:
                              • Make it work for one or two fixed line/s at bottom.
                              • Realize the backspace funktion to go in the upper line/last column.The version works with 19200 Baud with no loosing characters.
                                The screen-resolution is 640x480 and with 8x7 Font there is room for 60 lines and 81 characters on the screen.
                                Realized functions are:
                              • Carriage Return = 13 : Cursor to the first column of line
                              • Line Feed = 10 : Cursor to the next line, same column.Backspace = 8 : Cursor one column to the left, erasing the character.Formfeed = 12 : clear the screen, cursor to first row and first column.A row/column counter in the upper right corner of the screen.
                              Regards, Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X