Alternate Switch-Case coding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Switch-Case coding

I know its a bad coding practise to use goto-label but since switch-case is not working in 4DGL, is the below code a better alternative or are there a better way to handle these?
    Thanks

func checkSelection(var itemSelected)
    var giveDiscount;
    if (itemSelected==10) giveDiscount := 0.1; goto okDone; endif if (itemSelected==20) giveDiscount := 0.15; goto okDone; endif if (itemSelected==30) giveDiscount := 0.17; goto okDone; endif
    okDone: return giveDiscount;
    endfunc

First thing to note, 4DGL is 16bit integer based and does not support float,so you will need to scale the values somehow.

It would be more code efficient this way:-

func checkSelection(var itemSelected)var giveDiscount;
    if (itemSelected==10) giveDiscount := 1; else if (itemSelected==20) giveDiscount := 15; else if (itemSelected==30) giveDiscount := 17; endif return giveDiscount;endfunc

and could also be done like

func checkSelection(var itemSelected) if (itemSelected==10) return := 1; else if (itemSelected==20) return := 15; else if (itemSelected==30) return := 17;
    else
    return 0;
    endif
    endfunc
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Also, if your data set is fixed, you can do the following:
      #DATA word discount 0, 1, 15, 17, 25, 32, 64 //Added a few extra#END
      func checkSelection(var itemSelected) return (discount[lookup16(itemSelected,10,20,30,40,50,60)]);endfunc
      If the item is not found in the list, then a zero is returned (no Discount). If the itemsSelected was 10, then: lookup16(itemSelected,10,20,30,40,50,60) will return a 1, and discount[1] is a 1, which gets returned.
      This works esp. well if you need to check a lot of values.......

Comment

Thanks Dave. OK, noted on the float. I'll make changes to the code on that.
        Also, is there a limit as to how many nested if-elseif in 4DGL? I ask because I would foresee a lot more checking of values than the example I posted.

Comment

Thanks Howard. Yes, lookup16() would be most appropriate.

Comment

Working...
          X