3.2" LCD, what to copy on the SD card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, as an example.
    I am trying to design a rev counter for my car. I'm not gonna explain the technical bits of the hardware. But let's lets say voltage comes into one of the analog inputs of the Arduino. I read it, then translate to whatever RPM is corresponds to, then show that number.
    If I use a monochrome character based LCD, the refresh rate is very fast, etc. I know these 2 displays are totally different, but only as a visual example, I can see the actual numbers going up or down. Every single one of them.
    With this display I don't see this. if there a quick change you only see some of the numbers in the middle, till it gets to the maximum.
    I am using the display's own font and not any custom fonts.
    My baudrate is set at 9600.
    my

Comment

As ESPsupport mentioned, try increasing your baud rate. You don't say how many bytes you are transmitting for each sample, but you should be able to calculate how many updates you are transmitting per second.
      Don't forget that for 9600 baud, with setting of 8N1, you are transmitting 10 bits per byte (8 data bits, one start bit, one stop bit), so you should be able to send 960 bytes per second.

Comment

I am only sending the data as explained above for the moment.
        In the datasheet says the initial baud rate needs to be 9600, this is done without any problems.
        I've tried to send 'Q' followed by 08hex to set the baud rate to 19200, but then the display doesn't respond!

Comment

You send Q followed by 08 hex.

You then change to the new baud rate, the ACK comes back about 100ms after the 08 was sent.

We supply tools such as FAT Controller to help you become familiar with the commands and their responses. If you get an MB5, CE5 or programming cable you will be able to exercise thes commands, see how fast they are and how they interract in real time.
          Mark

Comment

I do try this, but then the LCD display doesn't respond.
            This is what I do:
            Serial1.begin(9600);Serial1.print('U'); // connect//Wait for ACK
            Serial1.print('Q'); // connectSerial1.print(0x08,BYTE);//Wait for ACK

Comment

The ACK comes bach at the new baud rate, where and how are you changing the baud rate on the Arduino?
              Mark

Comment

Now this is what I do
                Serial1.begin(9600);Serial1.print('U'); // connect//Wait for ACK
                Serial1.print('Q'); // connectSerial1.print(0x07,BYTE);//Wait for ACKSerial1.begin(14400);
                It works, but still slow. If I go higher than 14400 Baud, it doesn't work with the same method!

Comment

It should work at 115200 without any problems.

You may need to tweak the baud rate to get it to work at 128k and 256k.
                  Mark

Comment

matinzk wrote: Sorry to start another question; but I read data from the analog input of my Arduino and trying to show the data on the LCD.
                    It shows fine and everything, no problems there, however the speed of which it goes from one number to another is pretty slow!
                    Any ideas?
                    Don't you think a 16 Mhz 8-bit Arduino board is under-powered?
                    For intensive calculations project, consider the Arduino Due or the chipKIT platform.
                    Have you conducted scalability measures?

Comment

I have previously used an SGC OLED 1.5" display from 4D Systems with and Arduino Duemilanove and that work ansolutely beautifully and was pretty fast! I don't see why this shouldn't be the same?

Comment

I changed the baud to 115200 , but still the same, very slow!

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words. A video is worth (# frames * 1000) words...
                          If possible, a YouTube video of what you are seeing might help, as well as sample code?

Comment

Here is the code I am using. The initial baud and the 115200 as the new baud. These are only the steps:
                            ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////Serial1.begin(9600); //initial baudSerial1.print('U'); // send 'U' to connect// Wait for ACK
                            Serial1.print('Q'); //New baud for LCDSerial1.print(0x0D,BYTE); // Set new baud of LCD to 115200// Wait for ACK
                            Serial1.begin(115200); //Set the baud of serial of the controller to 115200 also
                            //Analog read then show on the display///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                            post #56 was a mistake from myself. I am not able to change to new baud unfortunately, when steps above taken! I don't know what to do anymore.

Comment

Here is the clip with 9600 Baud, you can see how slow it is.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2EsZThAz2g[/video]]YTube

Comment

Since all digits are updating together it looks like you are only writing to the display once a second
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X