Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication examples available?

I want to try out a couple of things:
    • Getting external data (e.g. temp measurement) that controls widgets on the screen.
      Temperature is externally measured, say, every 10 seconds and I want to see those changes reflected on the widgets (gauges).
      How to do this? How to set up this communication between "outside world" and LCD?

I want to use, say, sliders or trackbars to change settings externally (for instance, set min and max temperature values).
      How can I get the values set by the sliders or trackbars to the "outside world"?

Are there any examples showing how to communicate to and from the LCD display?

I'm using a 32PT display type.
    Best rgds,
    --Geert

Hi Geert

Here you can find some examples of an Arduino borad using several 4D Labs screen. http://sites.google.com/site/vilorei/arduino/13--serial-touch-320x240-lcd-screen/13i--back-to-basics
    This guy developped really nice libraries to control the screen (in SCG mode) using an Arduino board. I guess you can easily use his libraries for your system. This guy is very active and releases very often some new versions. Check this topic: http://www.chipkit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=353
    The Master is sending data using the 5 wires connector, using Tx and Rx. You can set up the speed communication and send data. In this case the screen is in SCG mode but I guess this linking configuration can also be used for GFX mode.

Comment

Assuming you need a 10 second update I guess the best thing to do would be to set a timer to read your source every 10 seconds, convert the vaule and display it. This would allow the rest of your code to be doing other things.

If your source is I2C you would just put the code to read it in the timer routine. If it is Serial, we you would have to use whatever protocol the device requires.

Have you decided on a device yet?
      Mark

Comment

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the links you gave me. Will have lots of things to discuss with you, when I'm back at the office next Monday...

Seems you have catched up very quickly with both the display as well as the programming of it. Looking forward to hear your progress!
        Best rgds,
        --Geert

Comment

Have you decided on a device yet?
          The system I'm busy setting up, is the following:
          • a dedicated Linux embedded system is the core of my domotics system
          • the board will control lots of I2C devices (I/O, ADC, temperature measurement,...)I need a visual display with a menu structure to set or get things from the domotics system (e.g. change the temperature in a room, check the status of the lights in another room, etc...)depending on the action on the LCD display, it should be able to send that action to the embedded system, so that this embedded system can get the information requested by the LCD (e.g. the LCD display says "Give me the temperature in room x, cause I want to display it") or set information to the LCD display (e.g. if an alarm situation should arise)

So, I see the LCD display as a kind of "interaction" (both ways) with the Linux embedded system.

I'm not planning to use the I2C functionality of the LCD, since it can only be master and in my case, the Linux embedded system must be the master. So, the only communication left between the LCD and the embedded system (both ways) is, I guess, RS232.

Hence, the background of my original question.
          Best rgds,
          --Geert

Comment

Hi Geert,
            We will definitely speak about it next monday at the office. But I did not work a lot with it at this time, I'm busy with another project. Most of my knowledge about this screen is based on reading forums, documentation and libraries developped by others.
            Laurent

Comment

Working...
            X