Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I send an integer through the serout command?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I send an integer through the serout command?

I need to send the data in an integer variable (data such as 5, 15, or 155), out though the serout command but I can't figure out how to do it.
    I am successfully sending individual literal chars, such as 'R' and '1', but I can't figure out how to send an integer variable. If you could show me how this is done, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I'm guessing that perhaps I need to send the integer 155 out as '1', then '5', then '5', but I can't figure out how to get it into that form to send it.
    While trying to work on this, I tried to figure out how to convert data in an integer variable to a char variable or char array (which I could then perhaps send through serout?). But I can't figure out how to do that either.
    Your assistance is much appreciated it.

serout(i >> 8) ;

serout(i) ;

Will send it as an integer (big endian)

to(COM0) ;

print(i) ;

Will send it as a string

To convert it to a string, you can also use 'to' with different operands.
    Mark

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try these. I understand the to(COM0); print(i);, but on the first method, I don't understand the second line serout(i). Can you elaborate a little bit on what you're doing there?

Comment

Say i := 0x1234 ;

serout(i >> 8) ;

will output i shifted right 8 bits, or 0x12

serout(i) ;

will output the last 8 bits of i, or 0x34, since serout only outputs 8 bits (or a byte)
        Mark

Comment

Ah. I see. OK. Thanks.
          I tried the to(COM0); print(i); method and that immediately solved my problem. I'm off and running now to the next step in the process. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X