Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sspence65
    replied

I did download it, loaded it into the IDE, and played around with it. It's very cool, very comprehensive, and reminds me of buying a maserati to go grocery shopping. The maserati can do that, but it's capable of so much more. My need is so very simple. Can't we do it with 3 or so lines of code? I don't need to display the result (well, maybe just for debugging), as this variable is the basis for a whole bunch of calculations for different gear pumps(look at my original arduino sketch at the beginning of this thread, 25+ pages of code).

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

If you look at the program, and still have trouble, I can help you modify it so it does what you need......

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

http://4d.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1273344257&postcount=21

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

Did you download and study the 4DGL program in post #21 of the link I provided? The program does just that.......

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

I only have to divide the assembled variable by 1000 to get the actual measurement in mm.

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

I'm not understanding. Can you show me how to take the incoming stream of ascii characters (which can vary from 0-5 digits), and save them to a single variable? Do you need me to make any changes on the arduino side to facilitate this?

This is the current Arduino sketch:

[HTML]int req = 5; //mic REQ line goes to pin 5 through q1 (arduino high pulls request line low)
    int dat = 2; //mic Data line goes to pin 2
    int clk = 3; //mic Clock line goes to pin 3
    int i = 0; int j = 0; int k = 0;
    byte mydata[14];
    int num;

void setup(){
    Serial3.begin(9600);
    Serial.begin(9600);
    pinMode(req, OUTPUT);
    pinMode(clk, INPUT);
    pinMode(dat, INPUT);
    digitalWrite(clk, HIGH); // enable internal pull ups
    digitalWrite(dat, HIGH); // enable internal pull ups
    digitalWrite(req,LOW); // set request at LOW

}
    void loop(){

// get data from mic
    digitalWrite(req, HIGH); // generate set request
    for( i = 0; i < 13; i++ ) {
    k = 0;
    for (j = 0; j < 4; j++) {
    while( digitalRead(clk) == LOW) { } // hold until clock is high
    while( digitalRead(clk) == HIGH) { } // hold until clock is low
    bitWrite(k, j, (digitalRead(dat) & 0x1)); // read data bits, and reverse order )
    }
    // extract data
    mydata[i] = k;
    // sign = mydata[4];
    // decimal = mydata[11];
    // units = mydata[12];

}

// assemble measurement from bytes
    char buf[7];
    for(int lp=0;lp

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

If you download the program I wrote (first one), the format for a command is :
    You don't need to do fixed padding, as it handles variable width. But you do need to send a CR. Alternatively, you could modify the second program to send down a fixed number of characters, and pre-pad leading zeros to your number (ie 0002). You also would need to bump the number of characters from 4 to 5, if that is what you need....

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

I think I need to convert each incoming ascii character to decimal (unless it's 36) and concatenate?

I'm not sure how to do that.

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

ok, that kind of helps. I have values (4-5) coming in ascii, and need to assemble them back into one number. I'm also now sending a separator, value 36 ($), that needs to be stripped out. My problem earlier was a CR and a LF (13 and 10). Now I'm getting 54 55 52 55 36 (6 7 4 7 $) into the uVGA-II.

That example shows how to break them out into discreet variables, I just want one, containing 6747.

UPDATE: When I scroll the micrometer up into a 5 character range, I get 5 digits and a $, when I scroll back down to a 4 digit range, I get 2 ($$) padding out to 6 characters (12345$ and 2345$$).

0.006 on the mic displays as 6$$$$$
    0.000 displays as 0$8$$$

The extra $$$ are screen artifacts, as the value displayed gets fewer positions, the old $ did not go away. I have to write a " " to that spot between prints?

HTML Code:
    #platform "uVGA-II_GFX2"/*
    - serial interface test-
    -- PICASO Platform --
    */
    //================================================== ================================================
    func main()
    var ch;
    gfx_Cls();
    txt_Set(FONT_SIZE, FONT2);
    gfx_MoveTo(90,100);
    // now just stay in a loop
    repeat
    ch := serin1();
    if (ch != -1)
    print( [CHR] ch ); 
    // print (ch);
    if (ch == 36)
    gfx_MoveTo(90,100);
    endif
    endif
    forever
    endfunc
    //================================================== ================================================

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

Not to butt in, but this thread may give you some of the info you are looking for.....
    http://4d.websitetoolbox.com/post/picking-out-data-from-a-string-5821237

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

Would it help if during sending from the Arduino, I did a

Serial3.print(num, DEC);

instead of

Serial3.println(num);

I think I need to add a "separator" so the receiving unit knows where start and stop is.

Serial3.print("$");
    Serial3.print(num, DEC);

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

Ok, I got the actual 5 digit number displaying on the screen in one spot with the following script (it changes correctly as I move the micrometer), but I need it in a variable. This seems like progress of sorts. ch == 565656561310 (the stream coming from the arduino) when the mic is reading 8888, so I told it to reset position when it sees a 10 ....

UPDATE: on less than 5 digit mic readings, say 5429, I still get a 5 digit reading on the screen. The first 4 are correct, but the 5th digit will stay steady as I move the mic up and down in the 4 digit mic reading range, and will change as I again move from a 5 digit mic reading to a 4, and stay steady until I make that same transition again, where it comes up with a different 5th digit.

HTML Code:
     #platform "uVGA-II_GFX2"
    /*
    - serial interface test-
    -- PICASO Platform --
    */
    func main()
    var ch;
    gfx_Cls();
    txt_Set(FONT_SIZE, FONT2);
    gfx_MoveTo(90,100);
    // now just stay in a loop
    repeat
    ch := serin1();
    if (ch != -1)
    print( [CHR] ch ); // if a key was received from PC, print its ascii value
    // print (ch);
    if (ch == 10)
    gfx_MoveTo(90,100);
    endif
    endif
    forever
    endfunc

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

I'm sorry, but I don't understand half of that code. I found the section on Serin(), but it looks just like the code sample I used that only displays 1 character (the last of the 5) on my screen.
    I was hoping for a simple 3 line or so function that:

Reads the 5 characters in, saves to a variable, looks for next set of characters, save to same variable etc.

The micrometer is constantly moving, so the variable has to have the latest reading in it.

Leave a comment:

• meldavia
    replied

Ok Steve understood,
    a while ago I had a great idea of making an assembler and burner for the little 6 pim Microchip IC's
    and started to make an assembler/programmer written in 4DGL for the little beasties
    but never finished it.

If you have a look through this code (far from finished but does a good deal so far),
    It should show a lot of techniques for extracting numbers etc from a string.

Attached files picasm10.4dg (37.4 KB)

Leave a comment:

• sspence65
    replied

I've gone though each of the four serial examples provided with the IDE for this platform, and have read the serial chapter in the internals manual. For now, I simply want to read the 5 digit number from the arduino and save it in a variable for further processing. I've documented my code above.

I'm confused on com_Init.

buffer size is in bytes, and there are two bytes per array element, and I'm trying to pass 5 characters, so buffer size should be 20? The internals guide says a buffer size of 20 equals 12 characters.

I'm using Serial3.println(num); on the Arduino, so '/n' should be the qualifier?
    It also seems to me that

com1_Init(combuf,5,'0');
    ( or com1_Init(combuf,10,'/n'); ?)

Should be above the forever loop, not in it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X