Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldelox - off / [outside] screen copy/paste

Hello,

I've seen technique utilizing offscreen (in fact out of visible bounds) copy/paste instruction to seamlessly update mouse pointer position.

source: MOUSE.INC

Code is dedicated to Picaso processor, can I expect similar functionality from Goldelox?

I've made test using FAT simulator configured with uLCD-144-V00.4DRom but pasting image from out of visible area to visible portion simply fills destination with black color.

Now I'm wondering if this is not 1:1 FAT emulation problem or in order to use it - it would need chip reprogramming or it is simply impossible on Goldelox.

Thank you for posting some more light onto above area.

Cheers,
    Marcin

Unfortunately the small displays dont have any 'off screen' GRAM storage areas, so nothing can be stored / hidden / retreived, and Goldelox only has a small ram storage area so it becomes rather difficult to do much.
    However, it would be possible to dedicate say 32 bytes of RAM to a storage area (for a 8x8 'pointer'). and swap out to GRAM using various direct hardware techniques.

It would be better though to come up with a strategy that does not require this.

Maybe if you give us an idea of what you are tring to do - there may be a solution...
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

hmm I aslo notice that you are posting in SGC forum so this may be off topic...
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Thanks for clear expalanation Dave!

This is what I want to achieve:

A menu, in form of list of text items, where selected ones are rendered in opaque mode and unselected transparently.

The problem begins with background, I'd love to use image sequence for this. Without offscreen method, menu items will blink because lcd will present screen partialy updated after every next background frame is rendered but before all text items are overlayed.

Do you know any hack letting me implement such menu with animated background?

Regards,
        Marcin

Comment

... maybe I missed command specs, is there any way to prevent Goldelox from updating screen until latch/swap/unlock command is being used?

Comment

No, unfortunately whatever is in GRAM is continually shown, and there is no
            double buffering to allow nice tricks.

The secret to success is to only draw/undraw an absolute minimum.

One thing that is very fast is blitting images from uSD card.

If your labels on the menu dont change, you could pre-render everything
            and just blit each section to the required place.

Might be worth having a look at Visi to achieve this.
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

thanks Meldavia,

I've considered uSD use with massssssively prerendered gfx. Seems to be the only option for me. Few menu items may have a numerical value (can be change by user), for this I'm planing to pre-render dynamic parts on my uCtrl and store it to uSD using write sectors command. Do you think it is worth trying or write secotrs will totally kill performance?

Marcin

Comment

Just decided to switch from sgc to gfx, beause of shorter lags between commands -> less noticable blink issue. (now I'm completely off the topic )

Comment

Working...
                X