Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start using uVGA-II(SGC)

Hi,

I bought 10 pcs of uVGA-II(SGC) and a uUSB-MB5 for my project. I intended to setup a home automation where on the wall I had 10 x 15" LCD monitor with VGA input controlled by 1 single Master computer through serial communication.

I intended to show different pictures/photos on individual monitor depending on the mood selection of the user or the time of the day. Therefore, I need to control which monitor will show which picture/photo.

Currently, I had read through the user manual for uVGA and found that there is a lot of software assoicated with it. Therefore, for me to start showing pictures on 1 x 15" monitor through my master computer serial port, what must I do first? Which program should I used?

The pictures/photo to be shown on individual monitor is saved inside the hardisk of my master computer and will not be saved in the uSD of the uVGA. I had a C# program controlling the interface. Therefore is it possible to use C# to send serial string straight to the uVGA to show the pictures?

Sounds like a big project.

Just say you wanted to send pictures via serial to a monitor in the house.

A 640x480 image sent at 9600baud is going to take over 10 1/2 minutes, so I don't think that's what you are after.

To, 'carefully' and 'expensively' send RS232 around a house you wont be able to do much more than double that speed (i.e. halve the time)

So you should at least be looking at RS422, that way you would be able to, hopefully, send data at 256k baud, or maybe higher, delepnding upon what your controller can do.

At 256kbaud it will take 24seconds to send one image.

So, are you going to put all the uVGAs on the same 'line'? (You will need to use GFX and design a suitable protocol as SGC's protocol wont support this) Now at 24 secs for one image, how often to how many monitors are you going to change.

Are you going to put uSD cards on each uVGA so the image can be temporarily stored so the sceen wont be 'updating' for the entrie 24 seconds?

Lots to think about.
    Mark

Comment

Dear Sir,

Sounds complicated. Do you think loading the pictures and photo to the uSD first and using the master computer to serial command which photo to flash helps?

The refresh rate is low. The picture could be staying in the monitor for hrs if no mood change.

I already bought 10 SGC therefore would like to use them. What is the best method to interface them together so that 1 master computer can talk to anyone of the monitor one at a time?

Comment

It will help if there is only a fixed range of pictures.

If you use SGC you will need one serial line per controller (unless all monitors display the same picture). You will also need RS422 interfaces to provide the distance.

You can change to GFX (and hence utilize a single line) just be changing the PmmC.

Looks like you have a lot of research to do
        Mark

Comment

Dear Sir,

For me to start, can I know which software I should use to load pictures into the uSD? What software to use to command which picture to flash?

Should I use only 1 monitor now with SGC to communicate with my master to my monitor.

Comment

You use Graphics composer to do that.

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=50

Of course you will probably want to get your master to do the 'conversion' automatically.

You will find the file format in the FAQ section of this forum.

For sure, get one monitor working properly, then think about how you might add the rest
            Mark

Comment

Dear Sir,

What do you mean by conversion? Does my Master need a special program to command the uVGA to change photos? Or just simple Serial Command that can be write using C#?

So for now, to load photos into the uSD, I have to read and understand the Graphics composer.

Comment

The displays handle 'RAW' images, Graphics composer converts jpegs, bmps, etc. into what the displays can handle.

Once the files have been converted and placed on the card you can send a simple serial command from C# to get the image displayed
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X