Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4DSysFan
    replied

OK, I got it working...... I deleted the old control, re-exported the bitmap, triple checked that it's width was a multiple of 10, loaded it to the control, and now it looks ok...... It's possible that my old font was not a multiple of 10, but I can't check it as I overwrote it when I Re-exported ()......

I found that, in my graphics editor, I turned on the rulers = Imagewidth / 10, and used 10 individual text elements (not just one string = "0123456789"), which made it much easier to tweak each character to fit within its window......

As I mentioned earlier, it would be great to see a similar control that has a "# of chars' property, then you could do the entire ASCII table if you wanted to....

ESPsupport, thanks for your help. Sometimes, on this end of it, it gets a bit confusing if you don't know the intimate details of how the control is supposed to work. I just pasted in a slider, and it stuck in a bunch of code I need to figure out (y, posn), but perhaps that is the subject for another post.....

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

Sorry, I just couldn't follow why you couldn't follow, if you know what I mean

How is the user to know that the control does not takes an arbitrary size bitmap, divides the width by 10, and the height is sized to the bitmap height?
    And this might be the crux of it, I hope.

AFAIK it works the way you just said it doesn't (eg the Goldelox clock example uses a completely different sized bmp)

Maybe you need to re 'Paste Code' after changing the bitmap, as the values that are pasted will change

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

Sorry if that last post sounded a little harsh, but posting the same comments that I've already read seemed a bit condescending to me. Perhaps it was not meant in the tone that came across....

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

This is a perfect example of where having foreknowledge can lead to an assumption that the audience must be able to understand what you are writing.

Nowhere does it say that the character is limited to a width of 32.

"Since each number is only 32 pixels wide": If you know that the control is fixed width, and is expecting a bitmap to be 32 pixels, fine. But perhaps each number is 32 pixels wide because that was the font size you happened to have used (and hence the character spacing), and you had to do some trimming to exactly match 32*10.

"And yeah, it takes the height from the actual height": If you look at the property page, there is no height or width listed. If I click and drag the control, I do see a height listed as 64...... So I'll chalk that up as "available info, but not obvious"

Perhaps a better, more informative answer would have been:
    "The control accepts a fixed width and height bitmap graphic of 320 x 64 pixels. No other size will function properly."

How is the user to know that the control does not takes an arbitrary size bitmap, divides the width by 10, and the height is sized to the bitmap height? That sounds a bit more useful...... Even better, have a property "Number of chars", then you could do any size font table you want......

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

From the comments:-
    * Background: The bitmap used by Customdigits1, 2 & 3 was created by GIMP, the *
    * letters 0-9 were typed in, the font was changed to OCR and the Alpha to *
    * logo filter was selected with the neon option. a greenish color was *
    * selected and the effect size was selected as 20 pixels. The resulting *
    * image was saved as a BMP. The bitmap needed modifying, as it was too *
    * wide (you may also want to trim the space above an below). In my case *
    * the BMP GIMP created was 341 pixels wide, since each number is only 32 *
    * pixels wide, trimming the bmp to 320 wide produced the correct *
    * character display. The colon was produced in the same way as the 0-9 *
    * characters, but this doesn't need trimming although is doesn't quite *
    * look right in the 'static' display. *

....since each number is only 32 pixels wide, trimming the bmp to 320 wide produced the correct character display....

And yeah, it takes the height from the actual height

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    replied

Sorry, I don't see anywhere in the comments about "width / 10". Are you saying that the bitmap width is divided by 10, and that sets the character width? Or is the character width fixed at 32 and the font / bitmap needs to trimmed to fit?

How is the height determined? If it is fixed, what is the fixed height?

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

It's just the width / 10. Read the comments in the sample

Leave a comment:

• 4DSysFan
    started a topic Visi Clock Demo

Visi Clock Demo

Hello,

I'm looking to use a custom font. I am used to creating it as an animated gif and display the appropriate frame. But it looks like the clock demo is using a different method....... I see an ocr53neon20.bmp file listed in the customdigit control. What tells the control what size each character is?
Working...
X