Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does ViSi-Genie works for uVGA (II or III)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does ViSi-Genie works for uVGA (II or III)

Hi,

I have tried to get the demo programs for ViSi-Genie to run on a uVGA-II. The program compile and download on the card but nothing is displayed on the screen. Tested with destination of the program as FLASH or RAM.

During BUILD process, a following screen pops up to ask for a drive destination to copy the *.4XE program. The drive drop down list is empty so I can't select a drive. Is it supposed to be the uSD drive?

ERIC

During BUILD process, a following screen pops up to ask for a drive destination to copy the *.4XE program. The drive drop down list is empty so I can't select a drive. Is it supposed to be the uSD drive?
    Yes, that is the uSD card from your display that you have plugged into your computer.

The only reason it would want to copy *.4XE to a drive was if you had Destination set to uSD, which would explain why the program doesn't work. The 'normal' setting is Destination, 'Run Flash'.

Please expain which demo program you are trying and what is happening
    Mark

Comment

After looking into it a bit dipper, I think I know what I got wrong.

Ok the drive looked for is drive where the uSD is plug-in the PC. But the files that WORKSHOP wants to transfer are the .dat, .cgi file + .4XE if the destination of the code is the uSD.

Anyway I was confused as to which context in which ViSi-Genie can be used. From what I have gathered, it is "only" meant to be used in a "slave" configuration where the main program runs on a microcontroller. Through the UART0 the microprocessor can send and receive values for the displayed parameters. With "normal" ViSi an independent program can be build and does not need to be slaved to a micro-controller.

So as I understand it ViSi-Genie is a quick an easy way to build a nice looking display/interface that will be driven by a master microcontroller.

The "ViSi-Genie-User-Guide-REV1.pdf" does not mention that clearly, it is presented clearly only in the picture on page 4. May be it should be mentioned in the text.

For the Object provided to be used with ViSi or Visi-Genie can the code be accessed ? When these object are "compiled", it look as though a picture of all there possible state is generated in the .gci file.
      Could user programmed/build objects be added to the collection provided in WORKSHOP ?

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

I also noted that the ViSi-Genie 4XE file are much larger than the one produced with ViSi. That must be because of the control framework that is automatically build.

I was trying to use the SETS.4DGenie and the others demo program. I got them working fine by copying the right file on the uSD card. I also got most of the exemple fo the normal ViSi to run as well.

ERIC

Comment

So as I understand it ViSi-Genie is a quick an easy way to build a nice looking display/interface that will be driven by a master microcontroller.

The "ViSi-Genie-User-Guide-REV1.pdf" does not mention that clearly, it is presented clearly only in the picture on page 4. May be it should be mentioned in the text

You certain can build stand alone apps, have a look at help, videoplayer and soundplayer, they are all stand alone.

The manual has this in the introduction, amonst other things

Each object has parameters which can be set, and configurable events to animate and drive other objects or communicate with an external host.
        Hmm, sorry if you got confused, could you let us know where, we may need to tweak the documents a bit.

For the Object provided to be used with ViSi or Visi-Genie can the code be accessed ? When these object are "compiled", it look as though a picture of all there possible state is generated in the .gci file.
        Could user programmed/build objects be added to the collection provided in WORKSHOP ?

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.
        That is correct, most objects are rendered as 'videos' and then the appropriate frame is selected in code and displayed. You could build a video (maybe a GIF would be easier), use GC to convert it into a GCI and manipulate it yourself. This is the sort of thing people have been doing in Designer for years.
        Mark

Comment

OK ViSi-Genie can build "stand-alone" apps. But these apps seems to only be able to contain ViSi objects that means no 4DGL custom code that could use the communication port (UART1, I2C) or the output pins, and no interaction with microcontrollers. Where ViSi, since it allows to write custom code, allows that?

The manual has this in the introduction, amonst other things

Quote:Each object has parameters which can be set, and configurable events to animate and drive other objects or communicate with an external host.
          OK, but the communication seems limited to using the UART0. Isn't it?

Comment

OK ViSi-Genie can build "stand-alone" apps. But these apps seems to only be able to contain ViSi objects that means no 4DGL custom code that could use the communication port (UART1, I2C) or the output pins, and no interaction with microcontrollers. Where ViSi, since it allows to write custom code, allows that?

Yes, well that's really the difference between ViSi and Genie, You do the code in ViSi, Genie Does the code in Genie, which limits Genie. But for what many people want, and for people that can't code / don't wont to code in 4DGL, but want to design a UI, Genie does everything then need.

You cannot add custom code to Genie, as the manual says
            It is an environment like no other, a code-less programming environment...
            Only UART0 is currently used, we are open to suggestions as to what functionality could/should be added to gain access to other parts of the display (UART1, I2C, etc.), keeping in mind the restictions of "code-less".
            Mark

Comment

Yes, well that's really the difference between ViSi and Genie, You do the code in ViSi, Genie Does the code in Genie, which limits Genie. But for what many people want, and for people that can't code / don't wont to code in 4DGL, but want to design a UI, Genie does everything then need.

OK I agree, just wanted to understand just how far one can go with each approach.

Only UART0 is currently used, we are open to suggestions as to what functionality could/should be added to gain access to other parts of the display (UART1, I2C, etc.), keeping in mind the restictions of "code-less".
              UART0 might be enough. I will personally use ViSi which offer more flexibility with the possibility to benefit from the prebuilt objects. By the way, is there a mean for users to add new custom objects to be reused in different programs.

Comment

By the way, is there a mean for users to add new custom objects to be reused in different programs.
                No, It wouldn't be that simple, the interration between the object 'creation' on windows and the object 'operation' in 4DGL would make any sort of user custom objects way too complex.

Of course, if one created an object using GC and the .GIF route, it already is reusable.
                Mark

Comment

OK, thanks for the clear answer.

I'll try creating objects with GC.

The GC mentions :

4.1.1 4DGL, SGC Picaso – GCI – Fat Selected Folder
                  • Builds the output in GCI file form and saves it in the selected folder.
                    • .DAT file is created with same name as that of GCI file. It contains the information regarding the address within the GCI file and default position of the image/video/animation with respect to the top left corner of the screen as set in the Graphics Composer. The arrangement of address in this file is LSW, MSW. .DAT and GCI files need to be copied to the ?SD card. The multimedia object can now be accessed via 4dgl commands.
                    Doesn’t apply to GOLDELOX-GFX2.
                  Does statement 3 means that the "absolute" position of the object on the screen is determined when building the .DAT file. Or can an object "absolute" position be set at run time and is it possible to have multiple instance of the same object.

Using .GCI (similar to sprite in games ?) is cool. Initiallly, I didn't understand how objects where rendered. With a quick SPI access to the flash data on the uSD card, it work nicely.

Comment

As it says, that is just the default position, you can set the X and Y positions at run time and hence produce the image multiple times in multiple positions. One of the more complex demos (forget which one) lets you drag videos around the screen with touch.
                    Mark

Comment

OK. I had a look at the "PICASO-4DGL-Internal-Functions-REV6.2.pdf" doc. img_SetPosition(handle, index, xpos, ypos) function seems to do the positioning. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                      X