Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When opening a 4DG file from the finder a new IDE is open even if WORKSHOP is already started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When opening a 4DG file from the finder a new IDE is open even if WORKSHOP is already started

Hi,

After I started WORKSHOP, I double-click on .4DG or 4DGeni file in the FINDER. That starts a new WORKSHOP IDE. There is no need for that since WORKSHOP can have tabs for several projects.

Cheers,
    ERIC

EDIT: actually I should have posted in "Workshop 4 Software IDE"

Hmm, no matter what I do I get it opening as a new tab in the IDE.

If you single click and then click open does it do the right thing?

By FINDER, I'm taking it to mean the file open dialog in Workshop.

Do you mean windows explorer?

If so, that's a feature of Windows that does that. Once upon a time apps, would check to see if they were already running when started with a filename passed to them and and send the new filename as a message to the first app and then exit the excond copy. MS Apps don't do that anymore, so all other apps are 'following'. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

EDIT: actually I should have posted in "Workshop 4 Software IDE"
    Do you have 'Topic Tools' up the top at the start of the thread's posts? You can move them from there. If I moved it for you it might appear to get lost
    Mark

Comment

OK moving the thread worked.

I am on WINDOWS 7 inside a VirtualBox on an iMAC.

If you single click and then click open does it do the right thing?
      No

By FINDER, I'm taking it to mean the file open dialog in Workshop.
      Do you mean windows explorer?
      Sorry meant WINDOWS EXPLORER (finder is for MAC)

If so, that's a feature of Windows that does that. Once upon a time apps, would check to see if they were already running when started with a filename passed to them and and send the new filename as a message to the first app and then exit the excond copy. MS Apps don't do that anymore, so all other apps are 'following'. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
      Yes apps used to check.

Ok could be OK to get it to work like that.

Actually I had the OPTION/ENVIRONNEMENT/REOPEN Files that where open... activated. So when I double-click to open a .4DG file, WORKSHOP start but there are two tab: one for the file that I have just slected to open and one for the file that was "open" in a Tab when I last closed WORKSHOP. And that last file is already open in the first instance of WORKSHOP. It looks to me that this should be fixed.

Apart from that I enjoy the new WORKSHOP IDE. The project tab is cool.

Comment

This may be some interraction between windows and virtual box, do other applications behave this way? (Rats, very difficult question, can't think of any 'standard' apps that normally open another tab in windows).

Maybe a question in the VirtualBox forums might be the way to go
        Mark

Comment

This may be some interraction between windows and virtual box, do other applications behave this way?
          Sounds very unlikely.

The reopening (in the second instance of the IDE) of an already opened file (in the first instance of the IDE) is a problem, AFAIK.

Comment

Quote:This may be some interraction between windows and virtual box, do other applications behave this way?
            Sounds very unlikely.

Huh?

It works under windows, but doesn't work when running windows under virtual box, surely virtual box is by far the most likely culprit?

The reopening (in the second instance of the IDE) of an already opened file (in the first instance of the IDE) is a problem, AFAIK.
            Workshop does not 'lock' files when they are openned, this was decided to be the 'best' option (with reservations). (for example, if it did lock files and you had a programnameconst.inc file open a compile would fail, you would curse everything under the sun, close the file and click compile again, not an optimal outcome).

The main issue comes up when openning a second instance of workshop when you have 'reopen files...' checked, but again up comes the 'what to do' Issue? About the only idea that stands a chance of solving the problem is not reopening files other than in the first instance.

But then what about when exiting Workshop? At the moment the 'last instance closed' will create the 'files open' list, but that might not be right, depending upon what order things are closed in
            Mark

Comment

Quote:Quote:This may be some interraction between windows and virtual box, do other applications behave this way?
              Sounds very unlikely.

Huh?

It works under windows, but doesn't work when running windows under virtual box, surely virtual box is by far the most likely culprit?

All other applications that I use in the WINDOWS 7 virtualbox work fine. That's why I was thinking that it sounded very unlikely.

When you say " no matter what I do I get it opening as a new tab in the IDE." is it under WINDOWS 7 ?

The main issue comes up when openning a second instance of workshop when you have 'reopen files...' checked, but again up comes the 'what to do' Issue? About the only idea that stands a chance of solving the problem is not reopening files other than in the first instance.
              OK I'll stick to only opening files in the first and only instance of WORKSHOP 4.

Comment

I wouldn't have suggested that if I wasn't sure it didn't work under Windows 7 (both 32 + 64 bit).

I also know it does the correct thing under Parallels, thus my wondering about VirtualBox.

I'm wondering if windows hasn't set some 'compatibility setting' of some sort, for whatever reason that could be causing this, although so far I haven't been able to determine what such a setting could be.
                Mark

Comment

I checked the compatibility setting and the WORKSHOP 4 is not run in a compatibility mode.

Ok the problem might be specific to VirtualBox. That would mean that there is a parameter somewhere that controls that behaviour. I'll look for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X