Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

uOLED 128 G1 --- FIRST TIME AT IT : Sending serial HEX ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uOLED 128 G1 --- FIRST TIME AT IT : Sending serial HEX ??

The first time using.
    I bought 2 128uOLED's a couple of months ago from a local vendor - It bothers me that, according to forum, new generation G2 will require new coding for future...maybe that is part of the problem I am having....

The boot screen booted up color and stayed put. Looked like other pics found in Forum.

I could not get any serial connection in Visi : dot was red. Clicked comm dot: turned yellow-> back to red. ' would not connect.

Tried in Designer and Serial, but would not connect.

I uploaded PmmC 128G1 and upload SPE, boot screen now rolls from bottom right corner to top left corner, but can connect now.
    If upload PmmC 128 G1h and then SPE , the boot splash rolls directly vertical ... and connects also.

In serial commander I can draw forms, but if no communications for 2 seconds the screen rolls: Either straight up, or diagonal.
    Example : ( gfx_CircleFilled[FFCC 0028 0046 0014 58CC] 0.030 (ACK) from Graphics Commander works.

Is the screen supposed to roll when communication is delayed?

I intend to communicate directly from a Propeller based voltage reading board that will directly attach to back : So, need to talk serial to it.
    When I go to serial,9600 terminal, and at the "send Hex" box, send bytes.. I get nothing.
    If I enter them one byte or one word at a time same...nothing. If I enter the whole string I get nothing. If I put in spaces...says invalid.... I tried using the for-mentioned same hex ...same set of Hex sent from Serial Commander...nothing... not a Ack or anything else.

So, can anyone tell me what is going on here. Maybe I am not understanding the functional architecture. LOST?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    /Chuck

That is normal, to stop burn in on the oleds, you can change the 'default' and also change the settings on the fly.

Do a find on 'screen saver' in the manual.

As for sending bytes, check what you are sending again. Compare it to what worked in Serial Commander.
    Mark

Comment

Thanks for that on preventing burn in. Just wondering if it is normal.

But...
      On writing in serial. I tried every way I could to copy the hex stream.
      So, in the "send Hex" box:
      are there any other characters beside the hex ?
      are there any spaces or delimiters?
      Does it need the checksum? (is that blind to me in the Serial Commander): I did not see it used in SerialCommander, so I did not use.

If I put cursor in left box and type when first open, I get lots of odd replies. So, it starts to send something. Then I click on Hex box and when I go back to put type in left box...nothing happens. LIke something is hanging.

I assume put in the entire string of hex... one after the other ... no spaces.
      any other ideas?

Comment

It's just hex without spaces, eg.

gfx_CircleFilled[FFCC 0028 0046 0014 58CC] 0.030 (ACK)

would be

FFCC00280046001458CC

or doesn't that work?
        Mark

Comment

Haaa! I tried that yesterday...10 times...but this morning it works!
          I see that If I load the PmmC G1 it rolls diagonally.... when I re-send hex, the object prints to
          NOT the proper location, but If I load the G1h... and the screen only rolls directly vertical, then
          the following updates of hex are placed in the proper location

Thank you ...

So, one more explanation please: I see the SPE to be the ...what ..Serial operational program,..maybe, ...
          What is the PmmC?
          Why is there more than one version?

Comment

The displays have a different driver, yours is obviously a G1h (due to the way it scrolls).

If you had your display in a state where it was expecting 'data' anything you were sending as hex would have been treated as part of that data, if there's a chance you've been accidentaly sending something 'odd' it might be best to reset the display before you try again
            Mark

Comment

Thank so much...
              It all is working now

It looks like I may have sent and FF0D instead of an FFD0... and hung up the processor. So, I did the reset and it worked fine.
              This is important... Are these serial commands the same for the G2 ??? When I produce this product with new module will I need to do any mods to code If just sending serial commands???

Is there a way to send a "blank" char to the display... or do I need to resend a complete string over ?
              What is name of command to move cursor location ???
              Is there a "Compact" command set cheat sheet somewhere out there ??? so all on one page ?

It is probably right in front of me... Pretty close to "figured out now"

Thanks for help !

Comment

All commands for Goldelox processors are the same.

Drawing a blank sends a blank character, or are you meaning the difference between TRANSPARENT and OPAQUE text. You can always draw a rectangle over the top of a character.

gfx_MoveTo() positions the cursor at the pixel level
                txt_MoveCursor() positions it at the character level

The index seems to be a quick cheet sheet
                Mark

Comment

Great Idea.. the index!

Thanks folks for the help. Is working now.

I found the problem that was hanging me up. I feel it is a querk that should be addressed by 4D:

As mentioned in the previous thread, the display can become "confused"... so, if you send it a command that it does not know...it locks up. That should not be. If it does not know a command then, it should disregard. While I was trying to work initially with the display ( i am a little dyslexic ) I flipped an xFFD0 with xFF0D.. so it locked ... and did not give any response...if it had returned 6 then I would have known that something was wrong.
                  This gives a little problem while booting...but solved most the time with a repeat command unitl == x6 return.

I am driving directly from Propeller and works beautifully now! This is a wonderful display.
                  This display will hopefully be in 150 radio stations within a few years.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Err, it should have sent a NAK

If you want to here's how to fix that.

1. Edit C:\Users\Public\Documents\4D Labs\4DUpdates\Utils\SPE2GV10.INC
                    2. Change line 19 "maxcmds 292" to "maxcmds 155"
                    3. Change line 315 "if (funcArgs[cmd] == 0xff)" to "if (funcArgs[cmd] == 0xffff)"
                    4. Save changes
                    5. reload SPE
                    Mark

Comment

OK. I will. /But this begs the question:
                      Why is this not fixed in the current version.

Thanks for the info very much.

Comment

Because you were the first one to report it
                        Mark

Comment

Thanks,
                          /Chuck

Comment

Working...
                          X