'Empty' button - Visi-Genie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Empty' button - Visi-Genie

It would be splendid if I could make an empty 'button' - literally just a blank touchable area. That way I could have an image, and on top of that image I could put some variable text, and then on top of all of that, I'd have my 'button'.

Not being able to make a Visi-Genie button that shows up behind a text object, or to have a VG 'image' button that also displays text, makes it extremely hard to customize the interface objects beyond what they already look like.

ViSi - Genie is designed to create simple applications quickly.

Maybe put the text beside the button.

Maybe you should be using ViSi, then you can put text on top of your button
    Mark

Comment

It's my understanding from all the documentation that using Visi (as opposed to Visi-Genie) as a serial slave is unsupported/impossible. I mainly want to do button layouts in Visi/Genie, and then use an arduino to update labels - as well as have the screen function as a settings panel for the Arduino. Is this possible?

Comment

If you use ViSi, you will have to program your comms and then ViSi can behave as a serial slave.

By doing your own comms you can also do your own protocol.

If you aren't an experienced programmer, just put the text beside the buttons.

You might try sticking text on top of the buttons in Genie, but you will need to set the text from Arduino and the delay may be rather obvious. (Actually I'm not even sure if this is possible, the text might stop the button from being detected)
        Mark

Comment

As far as I can tell, sticking text on top of button objects in Genie is impossible - buttons are ALWAYS on top, no matter what. I suppose I'm just frustrated - Visi-Genie could be extremely powerful with just a few changes. Being able to modify button text/properties via the serial protocol, and transparency support (why exactly do buttons have a 'Visible' parameter that seems to do absolutely nothing?), just those two things alone would make it a killer app for anyone wanting to easily interface a screen with an arduino. If there were a system for users to create their own custom widgets for use in Visi-Genie, you'd have trouble keeping them on the shelves.

Comment

There is no Z order on such a simple system, so you cannot do things the way you want.

Put the text beside or above the button, a bit like a 'real' panel would be done.
            Mark

Comment

Clarification, put a strings object beside or above the button and blank out the caption on the button.

Then you can control the caption from Arduiono.

If possible use predefined strings in the strings object to avoind having to send the entire string.
              Mark

Comment

"why exactly do buttons have a 'Visible' parameter that seems to do absolutely nothing?"

I am also trying to achieve a similar thing, does the visible parameter do anything?

Comment

You are correct, Visible has no effect in ViSi or ViSi-Genie.

In ViSi-Genie everything is visible.

Perhaps set up a different form and copy everything except that button?
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X