Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switch from FTDI (uUSB) to Silabs (CP2105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackietang
    replied

Dear ESPsupport,

It works great after set the DTR pin back to MODEM mode.

Thank you very much, ESPsupport.

Yours
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

One of the chips we use is the CP2102, it does not have the concept of GPIO/MODEM modes, DTR is DTR always.

Hence one could assume that the CP2105 will do the job properly if the Port connected to the Display is flipped into MODEM mode.

C1 is used to create a reset PULSE, so it will work as expected.

Having never used the CP2105 I can't say much else, I think you'll just have to try it.

Leave a comment:

• jackietang
    replied

For the DTR pin of CP2105, it has an alternate function, GPIOx, which can, for example, to drive an LED.

And, the default setting is GPIO mode.

According to the schematic of DEV board, the DTR pin seems not to be in GPIO mode if connecting to C1 because DC cannot pass through, only AC does.

I'm afraid I was wrong because CP2105 is real different from other CP model. It can only be programmed ONCE.

Because it is so "different", that's why I ask for your help to confirm the settings.

What else do I need to pay attention?

Thanks a lot, ESPsupport.
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

Does 4DWorkshop use MODEM mode?
    Hmm, what else would you use an emulated com port for?

Ahh, now I see, the CP2105 is 'different'.

Yes, that chip will need to be put in 'MODEM mode'

Leave a comment:

• jackietang
    replied

Dear ESPsupport,

What I got on hand are 0.1uF (C5), 2.2K (R1) and BC639 (Q1).

After soldered them on the PCB, 4DWorkshop still does not detect the uOLED-160-G1.

The factory default setting of CP2105 is in GPIO mode. Does 4DWorkshop use MODEM mode?
    Else any setting of CP2105 is needed to be change in order to work with 4DWorkshop?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

Any common NPN transistor will do.

Leave a comment:

• jackietang
    replied

Dear ESPSupport,

Would you please kindly advise an appropiate transistor Q1?

Thank you,
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• jackietang
    replied

Dear ESPsupport,

Thanks a lot for your hints. I will study it.

With best regards,
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

I think you may be missing the reset circuit between the CP2105 and the display.

Have a look at what C5, R1 and Q1 do in the circuit for the original devboard http://www.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/DEVBOARD-G1/Docs/DEVBOARD-G1_Users_Manual_Rev2.0.pdf

Leave a comment:

• jackietang
    started a topic switch from FTDI (uUSB) to Silabs (CP2105)

switch from FTDI (uUSB) to Silabs (CP2105)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I finsihed programming uOLED-160-G1 and uLCD-24PTU with 4GL language through uUSB (CE5 or PA5).

Then, it was soldered to my prototype PCB using Silabs CP2105 Dual USB-to-UART Bridge connecting 2 devices, one is uOLED-160-G1 and the other is a RFID reader, and attaching to a PC through USB.

Everything works fine. I can read the RFID Card ID and can display it on the uOLED-160-G1 perfectly.

But, when I go back to program uOLED-160-G1 using 4D Workshop, it cannot be scanned and detected any longer!

Does 4D Workshop only work with uUSB? Or, only FTDI? Does mean that I cannot do any on-field program update?

Please kindly help.

With best regards,
    Jackie
Working...
X