X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duggle
    started a topic SD Card on uVGA-II and III

SD Card on uVGA-II and III

Is it the case that the SD Card is accessible to the Picaso processor and 4dgl programs but NOT as an SD Card reader via USB connected to the PC?
    Is it normal to have to put external resources (e.g bitmaps) on the SD Card using another card reader attached to a PC?

Many thanks

• ESPsupport
    replied
    Um, I'm not clear on what you are trying to say here, if the resources are so small then copying them is not much of an issue.

There is no functionality on the display to allow for copying files via the serial link.

Leave a comment:

• dieting
    replied
    The project involves emulating an old style character LCD with it's CGRAM custom characters of 5x8 pixels bitmaps, so you see the resources are rather tiny. I understand your explanation of why the PC card reader functionality is inherently low performance, but in this situation it may not matter.

Last edited by dieting; 12th January 2015, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Duggle
    replied

No worries!
    (I'm sorry, you actually answered my question in the initial response, I didn't see it properly)
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

Sorry, it's just not feasible

Leave a comment:

• Duggle
    replied

Its nice to be able to inspect, add, remove, and edit bitmaps on the file system of the SD Card with a PC without physically removing the card and stuffing it into another card reader, then replacing it when done.
    If this was a rare event (resourcesPC) as you seem to imply, then fine.
    However, there may be lot of interchange taking place in which case I would like to know if the uVGA has a generic card reader functionality (even if slow) and how to make it work.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

I don't understand the problem properly.

One would normally load the resources onto the uSD plugged into a card reader attached to a PC and once the resources were loaded then plug the uSD card into the display.

The doesn't appear to be any 'continuous need for connection'.

Please describe what you are trying to do in more detail

Leave a comment:

• Duggle
    replied

Thanks for the reply.

The project involves emulating an old style character LCD with it's CGRAM custom characters of 5x8 pixels bitmaps, so you see the resources are rather tiny. I understand your explanation of why the PC card reader functionality is inherently low performance, but in this situation it may not matter.

Are there special driver(s) to load at the PC end to make this work? I was kind of expecting a card reader device to enumerate on USB by itself but alas, no.
    If you could point me to any documentation that would be great because I haven't found any yet.

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

That is correct.

It is far, far faster to access the card by connecting it to the PC using a card reader (which will access the card in SD mode), rather than through the Picaso (which is 'only' a slow speed serial port and 'only' access the card in SPI mode). That's why it isn't set up that way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X