8GB SD partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB SD partitioning

I apologize in advance if this information is documented elsewhere (i.e. new rev, forum stickies that don't stick, etc.); however, it seems re-direct links have a high rate of 404.

For instance, this documentation is outdated as the hyperlink does not function:

I have an SPI enabled 8 GB micro_SDHC card that I would like to partition for functionality with a micro_LCD-32PTU.

What options do I have or am I limited to 2 GB of FAT(16)? If I need a 6 GB RAW partition, I would assume using UNIX tools to do this would not interfere with the 4D Workshop functionality.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or dispelling of ignorance offered.

Post Script:
    I know there is a running thread of micro_SDHC cards that do not support SPI, you might as well add PNY 8 GB to that list.

Err, that link doesn't work.

Not sure why or where you are seeing these 404s, the main web site has been recently 'revitalised', so there may be some 404s from the forum.

This is the link to our RMPet tool
    http://old.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=86

Windows XP can format 4gb FAT 16 from the command prompt, Vista, 7 and 8 can format 4gb FAT 16 from the GUI format tool.

So I would hope you can do the same from UNIX.

We'd love to be able to provide a 'hard and fast' list for lack of SPI support, but when some brands use three (or more) different manufacturers for the same sized card it could seem to be misleading to make any statement at all, it's not a pretty picture.
    Mark

Comment

I've resolved my newbie problem and hope it helps someone else in the future:

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/Application-Notes/4D-AN-P1001-Partitioning-a-micro-SD-into-FAT-and-RAW-Components-rev1.pdf

To top off your previous statement, I've seen PNY and Kingston cards with Samsung chips on them; that in conjunction with lack of documentation.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Comment

Okay, so I've tried two different SPI supported SDHC cards using both the partitioning tool and other bash partitioning commands.

A 2 GB FAT(16) partition or single partition of FAT(16) yields the same results.

I am able to media_Init(), but not file_Mount().

I am unable to utilize the 4D Workshop as I'm not in possession of your proprietary programming cable, and would like to avoid cross-wiring a TTL USB cable -- although a solution would be shorting RST to GND, etc... therefore, I'm stuck with my current PmmC.

Is there firmware that should be loaded on the micro_SDHC that I am missing?

Or should an SD card that passes media_Init() be able to mount directly?

I've included the script I'm using for reference:
        Code:
        #include <Picaso_Serial_4DLib.h>                
        #include <Picaso_Const4D.h>
        #define DisplaySerial Serial1
        Picaso_Serial_4DLib Display(&amp;DisplaySerial);

void setup() {
          DisplaySerial.begin(9600) ;
          Display.Callback4D = NULL;
          Display.TimeLimit4D   = 5000 ;
          Display.gfx_Cls() ;
          Display.gfx_ScreenMode(LANDSCAPE);
          delay(1000);  
        }

void loop() {
          Display.gfx_Cls();
          int i;
          int j;

i = Display.media_Init();
          j = Display.file_Mount();
          if (!i) {
            Display.putstr("\n\n\n\ninit failed\n");
          }
          if (i) {
            Display.putstr("\n\n\ninit success\n");
          }
          if (j==0) {
            Display.putstr("\nmount failed.\n");
          }
          else {
            Display.putstr("\nmount success.\n");
          }

delay(3000);

}

Comment

You can media_Init() any SPI supported uSD, if file_Mount() then fails that generally indicates the formatting is not as expected.

You could check to see what 'File Error' is set to, that might give us a hint
          Mark

Comment

5: Boot Record invalid signature

Comment

Hmm, you could get that if the disk wasn't formatted. I presume you formatted it after partitioning it?

Can you show a 'chkdsk', if possible?

Can you dump Sector 0 and also sector 0 of the first partition?
              Mark

Comment

It was not formatted properly. I feel so silly.

Thank you for your patience and commanding knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                X