Blinking and flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinking and flashing

Does anyone know a reason for working ulcd35dts to suddenly start flashing when powered by a usb port that worked well before a windows update? Both devices will actually program through the blinking and function fine when powered externally but I can't see anything but the back light flashing otherwise. I assumed it was a power management issue with the usb port so I unchecked the reduce power box in the device properties and made sure the programming cable was set at FA for the full 500ma, but still no luck. I purchased a powered USB hub and still have flashing. I'm stumped. I have two programming cables that work fine on other computers. and 3 ulcds that also function fine. This machine had no trouble previously. Not a 4d problem but I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions. Oh yeah, the same usb ports work fine for anything else.

Boy is that weird.

Can you check the 5v to the display and see if it is steady?

Can you check the Reset line to the display and see if that is steady?
    Mark

Comment

I'm getting 5.05v at vin and 3.28v at the reset pin. The reset pin pin appears to be toggling @.9hz which corresponds to the blink rate but I only have a multi-meter here at the moment. Any idea why the reset pin is changing states?

Comment

The reset pin toggling will be the cause of your problems.

Can you confirm it still happens with Workshop closed (just to eliminate it as a suspect, although I have no idea why it would do this)

If you change the port number and see if that affects it. Also try a port number > 10, or even >100 in the hope that whatever is doing this is only picking on one port, or is only picking on a range of ports.

I seem to recall from a few years back that someone had a similar issue with a mobile phone 'driver', or something.

Hopefully you can shutdown and/or terminate things bit by bit until you isolate the culprit.
        Mark

Comment

It happens with workshop open or closed. The frequency appears to be very stable. I tried ports up to 100 with no change.I do notice that when I try to reprogram the uart bridge I get a solid reset pin and the display boots fine, but I lose com.

Comment

Yeah, I think something is opportunistically opening any com port it can find and toggling the DTR pin, you need to find out what.

If the COM port is in use it can't do it, so that's why you can load a program

Try running the terminal program. I suspect that when it has the com port open your display will be stable, but as soon as you click 'Disconnect' it will start blinking again.
            Mark

Comment

You're brilliant! It does work fine while the terminal program is running. Now I just have to figure out what changed with that last update. In the mean time this will work as a patch.

Thank you,

Jeff

Comment

I think I have it figured out... On a Silicon Labs site, they say it is a problem with serial enumeration and gave instructions for commenting out the code in the driver to stop it. I'll give it a whirl when I get home.

http://community.silabs.com/t5/tkb/a...rticle-id/1003

Comment

Hmm, somehow I don't think it is that. Several reasons.
                  1. It is dated 2011 (and 6.4 driver), so not new
                  2. The description implies DTR is toggled once during discovery, not continuously as you are seeing.
                  3. The driver I have currently installed is 6.6.1.0 dated 10/10/2013, which hasn't been updated for quite a while now, again suggesting that what you found is not it.

Can you give me the version of your driver and I'll install it here and give it a try (I'm running 64 bit windows, hopefully you are as well)

Have you looked in 'programs' and 'installed updates' to see what has changed since it worked correctly?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                    Hmm, somehow I don't think it is that. Several reasons.
                    1. It is dated 2011 (and 6.4 driver), so not new
                    2. The description implies DTR is toggled once during discovery, not continuously as you are seeing.
                    3. The driver I have currently installed is 6.6.1.0 dated 10/10/2013, which hasn't been updated for quite a while now, again suggesting that what you found is not it.

Can you give me the version of your driver and I'll install it here and give it a try (I'm running 64 bit windows, hopefully you are as well)

Have you looked in 'programs' and 'installed updates' to see what has changed since it worked correctly?

I have no idea what is going on. I sit down this afternoon to try the altered driver and as quickly as it quit, it appears to be working perfectly again only on port 16. I can't remember if that was the last assigned port or not. Earlier this morning I started killing processes to see what could be polling the port but nothing was immediately evident. I'm assuming that had something to do with it working this afternoon. I then rebooted the computer to try to narrow down which process or service that is responsible and it is back to flashing again and nothing appears to be immediately evident. Oddly, windows assigned port number 32 and says that 16 is in use by another process. baffling.

There were 5 security updates installed on 7/10, but I can't make much sense of any of it.

My driver is the same as yours (6.6.1.0) only the date is 12/10/2012. I'm running 64bit Vista Ultimate.

Comment

Whatever is causing it pulls the pin low for 90uS every 1.1 seconds. I have half a mind to try a cap across it.

Comment

Sorry, no more suggestions. (Other than don't think a cap will be the solution)

I wonder if this will reveal anything? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../bb896644.aspx
                        Mark

Comment

Just to close this thread out: The culprit ended up being some old control software for a no longer used a "Geek Squad" branded uninterruptible power supply. Still no idea why it only came to the surface after the Windows update, but all is working well since it has been removed.

Comment

Thanks very much for coming back with the solution to your issue, always good to hear when issues are resolved.
                            James

Comment

Working...
                            X