Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading a HEX file via USB

Hi,

Is there a stand-alone programmer for Windows that loads hex files via the USB port to the PICadillo? Something like AVRdude. I'd love to use this product in my project but it's mandatory that it can be programmed via USB in the field.

Thanks!

There isn't "something like avrdude" - there is avrdude :P

If you enter preferences in UECIDE, select the Compiler tab and turn on "Verbose output during compilation" (or whatever it is) it will give you all the commands it runs, including the avrdude command to do the uploading. Note that you will need the avrdude.conf file that is in the UECIDE chipKIT core, as the stock one bundled with avrdude installations doesn't have any PIC32 chip definitions in it.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I thought AVRdude was for the AVR micros, not the PIC micro as well.

I'm not a C programmer, Pascal only, and am looking to use the www.mikroe.com pascal compiler for the PIC32 to generate the hex file. I'm also looking to use their mikroProg to do in-circuit debugging. To be honest, I have no idea if this will work yet and am doing some more research. The downside is that there are probably no libraries available unlike the UECIDE software. It may be easier just to learn C, although I'm going to resist that as much as possible. :-)

Comment

AVRdude is just a client to a bootloader. It doesn't care about the target architecture. It just sends the program data and it's down to the bootloader to know how to install it into the flash.

You're right there probably won't be any libraries for pascal, certainly not for driving the TFT, so you'll have a bit of a job writing your own code to do all that side of things. Simpler to learn C It's not a scary language, and is actually quite simple really.

I did Pascal at college, and C at university, and of the two I think C is the better language.

Comment

I guess it's what you're used to. Most of my software is PC and the latest project is a 60,000 line monster, in Pascal. I'm only really just getting into the embedded systems stuff and there's a lot to learn and time is of the essence.

Comment

Working...
          X