No announcement yet.

Graphics Composer default extensions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Composer default extensions...

Hi,

Why does GC now create _new_ files with extensions .Dat and .Gci rather than .dat and .gci. Yet leave existing files it refreshes as .dat and .gci ?

Why does it even matter? I use a utility I have written to manipulate gci data directly (for instance to convert 10 separate identically sized images into a video) and this is breaking my scripts.

Thanks,

Simon

> Why does GC now create...
    As far as I can tell it has always created files this way (Since at least 2010)

>Yet leave existing files it refreshes as .dat and .gci
    This is a feature of Windows. If you delete a file and then recreate it within 'a certain period of time' Windows will create it with the same case as the deleted file.

> Why does it even matter?
    Indeed why? Windows only matches filenames and extensions based on case insensitivity. Any script you write should do likewise.

Mark

Comment

My command line utilities (C executables) are case sensitive to filenames. They do pre-date 2010. The default must have been lower case back when I started writing them. I'll migrate all my existing files to start with upper case and then I won't be caught out by new files....

Comment

Working...
      X