"Device is not responding"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Device is not responding"

Trying to connect to a uoled-128-g2 using Workshop 4 and it keeps giving me the error "Device is not responding". I can send serial commands to it fine with a microcontroller, and it will display what I want just fine, but I am seemingly unable to connect to the screen using Workshop 4. I have been able to connect successfully in the past, but now I am having issues. I've reinstalled the driver multiple times, tried different USB ports on my computer, even forcing different com port #s, but nothing seems to work.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

What device are you using to connect the display to your computer (CE5, Cable, PA5?)
    Mark

Comment

I'm using the 4D programming cable. It's worked before...

Comment

Maybe the cable has become damaged?

Connect TX to RX and run terminal to the cable to see if it echoes what you type.

See if clicking 'Reset' in Terminal causes a pulse on the reset line.
        Mark

Comment

It seems to echo what I type, i.e. I type in a letter and it echoes back the hex code. When I hit reset I don't see anything in Terminal except for the hourglass cursor momentarily appearing. Would this constitute a pulse? I know that when I hit reset in Terminal when it is connected to the screen the screensaver resets and starts from the beginning. That's about the only thing I can do though, when I try to connect with Serial Commander and send a command to it, a timeout occurs.

Comment

Hmm, all of that would tend to suggest that the problem lies with TX or RX on the 128-G2 display.

Make sure you have the cable connected in the right place on the display, check against the diagram that came with it. It should be connected to the 5 pins closest to the edge of the board.

If that is correct, try checking that the TX+RX connections to the bottom of the connector on the board are good, and that the resistor bank is not damaged.
            Mark

Comment

I should mention that I am able to display images, lines, text, etc. on the display by sending commands via a microcontroller. Gonna go check the connections now...

Comment

The resistors below the header pin were all tested, and they seem to be giving measurements close to their ohm ratings. When I bought this screen, I had gotten an additional two more screens. I've tried to connect them in workshop and the same error occurs with them. To me it seems the issue is either in the programming cable, the workshop IDE, or the driver.

Comment

Hmm, based on what you are saying it should 'just work'.

Are you really sure you have the correct comm port selected in workshop?

If you go to the comms tab what does the status tab say?

If you click on the traffic light and wait what happens?

What if you hover over the status area, what is displayed?
                  Mark

Comment

After playing around with the software some more, with a bunch more failed attempts at connecting, I finally got the serial commander to connect and send/receive commands. It looks like the fault is in the programming cable. Just moving it slightly determines whether or not I get a NAK response, a timeout response (but still displays the command), or a normal ACK response with normal display behavior. It's literally a matter of inches of where the cable is resting or not, so I think there is a break in the cable somewhere, or a fault in the USB connector.

Comment

I have no idea how old you cable is or how hard its life has been, but eventually the wires often break at the connector end, they are usually fairly easy to repair.

Also a lot of computers USB sockets seem to get worn over time and become a bit dicey.

Can you localise the fault a bit more?
                      Mark

Comment

The cable is at the most 2 months old and the computer is only a year old Lenovo. I'll have to take a look at the connector pins and see what's going on. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

Working...
                        X