X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uLCD-43PT-PI connected to raspberry Pi does not work

Hi all
    I have bought the uLCD-43PT-PI and trying to install the Kitchen Timer
    I connected the raspberry to the uLCD-43PT on connector J2 n. 1 with the rigth +5V,RX, TX,GND,RES
    Installed WiringPi library from github:as described on https://github.com/4dsystems/ViSi-Genie-RaspPi-Library
    downloaded the Raspberry Pi ViSi-Genie library compiled with Geany 1.22 and obtained the libgeniePi.so file
    downloaded the ViSi-Genie-RaspPi-Demo-Kitchen compiled with Geany 1.22 and obtained the kitchenPi file
    disabled Linux from using the Pi Serial Port so the GeniePi library can , as described on https://github.com/4dsystems/ViSi-Genie-RaspPi-Library

If I excute kitchenPi I do not have any image on uLCD-43PT-PI I'm sure I miss something but I do not understand what . The uLCD-43PT-PI seems not working
    Please have any suggestion?
    Regards

Err, you haven't mentioned compiling the Genie source in workshop, coping the relevant files to uSD and installing it in the uLCD-43PT and downloading the program to the 43PT
    Mark

Comment

Thanks!
      sorry I 'm not able to find the Genie source in workshop on http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/5/39/Raspberry_Pi_Display_Modules/uLCD_43_PT_PI/
      Regards

Comment

The Genie Source is in the .zip file on the kitchen timer download page
        Mark

Comment

Excuse me but would it be possible to find somewhere in the site the file kitchenPi.4DGenie already compiled?

Comment

Err, not sure how that will help you, I'm assuming you think you can load the program without Windows.

Although there is a scripting language to load the program onto the display, the scripting language needs Windows, just as Workshop does.
            Mark

Comment

Hi...no sorry! I used windows and Workshop (downloaded and installed WORKSHOP4 INSTALLER.4.0.3.8.exe)
              I load kitchenPi.4DGenie I clicked build and transfer in microSD (2Gb), on workshop I read the message that it compiled kitchenPi.4DGenie without errors

inside the micro SD I can read there are the following file
              KITCHE~1.dat
              KITCHE~1.gci
              RunFlash.4xe
              winAqu!1.wav
              winAqu!2.wav
              winNat!1.wav

I connect the uLCD-43PT-PI to my Raspberry Pi, started the Raspberry Pi and excute the kitchenPi file
              nothing
              The uLCD-43PT-PI is on because I see the backlight on, but I do not see the Kitchen Timer working
              Sorry now I do not understand what I have miss. I'll be grateful for any suggestion

Attached files

Comment

Hi,

I connect the uLCD-43PT-PI to my Raspberry Pi, started the Raspberry Pi and excute the kitchenPi file
                nothing
                The uLCD-43PT-PI is on because I see the backlight on, but I do not see the Kitchen Timer working

1) After having successfully built and downloaded the Genie program to the uLCD-43PT (do not connect it to the Raspberry Pi yet), do you see Form0 appear on the display? Form0 has three LED digits, three LEDs, and two buttons as you can in the Genie program in Workshop. Or does Form0 disappear only when you connect the uLCD-43PT to the Raspberry Pi?

Sorry now I do not understand what I have miss. I'll be grateful for any suggestion
                2) In http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnotes/, you can find the application note 4D-AN-P4023 ViSi Genie Connecting a 4D Display to the Raspberry Pi. The app note is basic and easy to follow. It has a demo C code and a demo Genie program, which are simpler than those of the Kitchen Timer demo. By carefully following the app note, you might be able to help us figure out what's wrong.

Regards.
                Doff

Comment

Hi
                  if I do not connect the uLCD-43PT-PI to my Raspberry Pi I can not power the
                  uLCD-43PT-PI.
                  Anyway if I power on the Raspberry without SD card and uLCD-43PT-PI connected to raspberry I can see the following image on the LCD , please see the attached file 2013-09-28 13.28.51.jpg

Attached files

Comment

More over I have followed the instructions on
                    4D-AN-P4023_ViSi-Genie_Connecting_a_4D_Display_to_the_Raspberry_Pi_REV1.0.pff
                    on raspberry running kitchenPi i obtain that in picture
                    but the uLCD-43PT-PI do nothing !
                    please see photo
                    Any suggestion , what have I missed?

Attached files

Comment

Hello,

if I do not connect the uLCD-43PT-PI to my Raspberry Pi I can not power the
                      uLCD-43PT-PI.
                      Yes, of course. Also, the uLCD-43PT should power up when connected to the PC via a programming module. By the way, what programming module are you using to program the uLCD-43PT - the uUSB-PA5 or the 4D USB programming cable?

Anyway if I power on the Raspberry without SD card and uLCD-43PT-PI connected to raspberry I can see the following image on the LCD , please see the attached file 2013-09-28 13.28.51.jpg

At this point, the uLCD-43PT should display Form0 of the kitchenPi demo (see the attached image ) and not the SPE splash screen as you have shown.

More over I have followed the instructions on
                      4D-AN-P4023_ViSi-Genie_Connecting_a_4D_Display_to_the_Raspberry_Pi_REV1.0.pff
                      on raspberry running kitchenPi i obtain that in picture
                      4D-AN-P4023 does not exactly discuss how to make the kitchenPi demo work. Instead, it discusses how to make the Genie project "genieRasPi-WS4-Demo" work with the Raspberry Pi. The kitchenPi demo is composed of 8 forms and close to a hundred objects. It is therefore difficult to document it. The "genieRasPi-WS4-Demo" project, on the other hand, is a single-form project with only four objects.

If you download and open the zip file for 4D-AN-P4023, you can see three items:

1) The Genie program folder - this contains the simple Genie application for the app note (genieRasPi-WS4-Demo). This will be loaded to the uLCD-43PT.-color: #f7f7f7;">
                      2) The source code folder - this contains the Raspberry Pi code. This will run on the Raspberry Pi.
                      3) The pdf file "4D-AN-P4023_ViSi-Genie_Connecting_a_4D_Display_to_the_Raspberry_Pi_REV1.0". This document contains instructions on how to make the application work.

It is strongly recommended that you first make the application described in 4D-AN-P4023 work on your uLCD-43PT and Raspberry Pi. After making sure that "genieRasPi-WS4-Demo" works, then proceed to working with the more complex kitchenPi demo. If there is anything unclear in the app notes, please inform us.

Thank you and regards.
                      Doff

Comment

Hi , long time I did not make any test on my uLCD-43PT-PI, unfortunately this is not a job , but a free time amusment. Anyway today I make some test, but no progress.
                        I do not understand why my lcd does not display neither the genieRasPi-WS4-Demo.4DWork. as you told me
                        Today I formatted the 2 Gb microSD, load genieRasPi-WS4-Demo.4DWork in the micro SD
                        succesfully (please see image n.2)
                        Put the micro Sd inside the uLCD-43PT-PI . Connected the uLCD-43PT-PI to raspberry , power on the raspberry without its SD card so it does not starts . Following your suggestions the
                        uLCD-43PT-PI must display the genieRasPi-WS4-Demo.4DWork ...but no
                        I see always the same image (please see image n.3)
                        Attached files

Comment

instead if I connect the SD card to the raspberry and power on the raspberry it starts raspian open the desktop normally, but the uLCD-43PT-PI connected to the raspberry with inside the microSD (with genieRasPi-WS4-Demo.4DWork) show that image (please see image)
                          Attached files

Comment

I do not understand why my lcd does not display neither the genieRasPi-WS4-Demo.4DWork. as you told me

Yes, it's very odd that the display does not show the genieRaspi-WS4-Demo program. It displays the SPE application splash screen instead. As a quick test can you answer the following questions:

1. What are you using to program the uLCD-43PT? Are you using a uUSB-PA5 or a 4D USB Programming cable? You should be using one of these. Check this page: http://www.4dsystems.com.au/group/17/Accessories/

2. For this part:
                            Today I formatted the 2 Gb microSD, load genieRasPi-WS4-Demo.4DWork in the micro SD succesfully (please see image n.2)
                            Can you check the following highlighted items in your Workshop?

Under the Comms menu the button should be in blue. Make sure that you use the allocated com port. The target display should also be indicated. In the image above the uUSB-PA5 programming module is using com port 38, and the target display is a uLCD-32PTU. Yours should display the allocated com port and the target "uLCD-43PT".

After having successfully built and downloaded the program to the display module, you should see the text "Download to Flash successful" in the message area.

Under the Project menu, the Destination should be Flash.

Before transferring your uSD card to the display module, see that it contains the necessary files.

These are all in 4D-AN-P4023_ViSi-Genie_Connecting_a_4D_Display_to_the_Raspberry_Pi_REV1.0.pdf but can you double check them just to be sure?

Thanks
                            Doff

Comment

Hi! thanks for your kindly reply. Sorry I'm not using any programming cable . I thought that download with workshop the files in the microSD card was enough . So I need also a programming cable to programm the
                              uLCD-43PT. That the reason why it displays always the SPE application splash screen

Comment

Working...
                              X