Capacitive vs Resistive touch screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitive vs Resistive touch screen

What is the advantage of capacitive touch over resistive?
    Does either touch screen allow an added transparent layer over it (eg a 0.8 - 1.2 mm acrylic or poly-carbonate sheet) to provide more protection for the screen?
    Which touch system would be better for swipe based controls?
    Do the capacitive touch screens support multi-touch (eg for zooming and rotation controls)?

Ahh, I thought this should be easily solved by Mr. Google, but alas, most of what I find contains a few glaring inaccuracies.

So have a look at this and I'll update you on the errors in this article http://blog.junipersys.com/resistive...-touchscreens/

CT will always be more expensive than RT as the panel design for CT is much more complex. Effectively RT has a single 'cell' for detection which is the size of the screen. CT has multiple cells, on our 4.3" CT display this is made up of a grid of 20 x 12 cells. This is how and why CT can support multi-touch, this added complexity, not to mention the extra complexity in the controller is also why CT is more expensive.

Because it is effectively 'non contact' you can place a transparent layer over CT, the thickness of which varies (and is sometimes adjustable), in general 1.2mm is supported 'out of the box'.

Not sure what you mean by 'swipe based controls', in general I think it's more about 'required resistance to physical abuse', CT being better as it can have an added protective layer.

Because our displays do not generally lend themselves to 'zooming and rotation controls' we only support a single touch in our software. IF you really have a need for multi-touch you can access the I2C registers of the controller in our program.
    Mark

Comment

Thank you for clearing up some of those questions.
      By swipe based, I was referring to controls that are slider type rather than push on/push off type, ie like the slider widget in the Visi Workshop.

Comment

OK, for sliders I imagine someone used to CT might have a bit of difficulty with an RT slider due to the 'harder' touch required. But really it's such a slight difference, to my way of using my finger, I imagine the number of people that would notice would be very few.
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X