No announcement yet.

BigDemo with the C Serial Library for use with the Goldelox Serial Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigDemo with the C Serial Library for use with the Goldelox Serial Environment

Hi,
    I need to program an 8051 microcontroller to communicate with the uOLED-96-G2 using the SPE Environment. I would like to get BIGDEMO.EXE to work so that I can look at the UART communications on my oscilloscope and figure out how to write the code correctly.

When I run BIGDEMO.EXE from the DOS command prompt, I get error 2.

C:\4Droot\4D-WORKSHOP4\INSTALLER\COMMON FILES\Goldelox Serial\C\Samples\lcc>bigdemo 9 9600
    Error 2 Opening 9

I have the uOLED-96-G2 on the DEVBOARD-G1 and when I use the 4D Workshop, comm port 9 is used to communicate with it. Is there another way to indicate the comm port on the DOS command prompt?

Thanks,
    Peter

C:\4Droot\4D-WORKSHOP4\INSTALLER\COMMON FILES\Goldelox Serial\C\Samples\lcc>bigdemo COM9 9600
    Mark

Comment

Hi,
      Now I get the following error message:

C:\4Droot\4D-WORKSHOP4\INSTALLER\COMMON FILES\Goldelox Serial\C\Samples\lcc>bigdemo
      COM9 9600

Serial 4D Library reports error Timeout

Do you have any ideas on how to get BigDemo to work? Do I need to use the 4D Workshop to add any files to the uOLED-96-G2 or should it work with BigDemo out of the box?

Thanks,
      Peter

Comment

Did anything display at all on PC or Display?

What is showing on the display after you power it up?

Are you sure you have the correct com port?

The comments at the top of the program say how to get the 'required' files onto uSD, but it should just skip that bit if they aren't there. (hmm, perhaps don't insert a uSD unless the files are on it)
        Mark

Comment

The display just shows the start-up scrolling start-up screen. SPE2 rev 1.1 and PmmC rev 2.4. Nothing else displays on the PC or the Display.

I tried all the ports in 4D Workshop and COM9 is the only one that works there.

I don't have an sd card in the display. I will try that next.

Comment

Hi,
            The top of the file reports that I need to save "Intro\GCI_Demo1\Images\GCI_DEMO1" onto my SD card. GCI_DEMO1 was not included in the BigDemo download and I don't have the file. Where can I get it?

Peter

Comment

The full path for those files should be:-

C:\Users\Public\Documents\4D Labs\POGA INTRO\GCI_DEMO1\IMAGES

But really I think there might be something wrong with the COM9.

If you have workshop with a dummy serial program open and click on the traffic light in the coms tab, what does it say after it 'comes back'? Did the display 'flash' during the process?

Doe you have a programming cable, PA5, CE5 or what?
              Mark

Comment

Hi,
                Where can I download the files for that directory? I downloaded 4D Workshop Version 4.1.0.11 and installed it into the default directory, C:\Program Files\4D Labs\4D Workshop 4 IDE, I don't have any other sub-folders in C:\Program Files\4D Labs. I downloaded Goldelox-Serial-C-Library-master.zip and place the files in C:\4Droot\4D-WORKSHOP4\INSTALLER\COMMON FILES\Goldelox Serial so that the makefile would work. I don't have a POGA INTRO directory.

Thanks,
                Peter

Comment

I have two ways to connect the display to my Windows XP Professional computer.
                  1.) 4D Programming Cable - USB to Serial UART Bridge Converter Cable
                  2.) The DEVBOARD-G1 with a USB cable.

Peter

Comment

It's not in the program files folder. MS only permit you to put 'Read only' files there these days.

On XP (IIRC) it's in

C:\Documents and settings\All users\Documents\4D Labs\POGA INTRO\GCI_DEMO1\IMAGES

So are the cables showing up as working in device manager?

If you have workshop with a dummy serial program open and click on the traffic light in the coms tab, what does it say after it 'comes back'? Did the display 'flash' during the process?
                    Mark

Comment

Hi,
                      With either cable, the device manager shows that the display is working on COM9. The circle turns blue and the status is "uOLED96-G2[v2.4]". The display goes dark after I press on the circle, and then it displays the scrolling demo text. The display also accepts commands from the Terminal 9600.

I just found the POGA INTRO directory in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\4D Labs\". I will try putting the files on the sd card.

Peter

Comment

Hi,
                        With either cable, the Device Manager lists the device as "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM9)" and reports that it is working properly.

I formatted my micro-SD card as FAT and loaded the GCI_DEMO1 onto it. I had to resize the images first so that they would fit on the 96 x 64 pixel display.

Bigdemo still gives the following error messge:

C:\4Droot\4D-WORKSHOP4\INSTALLER\COMMON FILES\Goldelox Serial\C\Samples\lcc>bigdemo.exe COM9 9600

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
                        Peter

Comment

Hmm, looks like it is doing the wrong thing with the 9600.

Since that's the default anyway just drop it and it should work
                          Mark

Comment

Hi,
                            I dropped the 9600 and I get the same error.

C:\4Droot\4D-WORKSHOP4\INSTALLER\COMMON FILES\Goldelox
                            Serial\C\Samples\lcc>bigdemo.exe COM9

Peter

Comment

Odd, works fine for me.

Try resetting the display and try again.

You do see the serial splash, and it does say 9600, don't you?
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X