2 keyboards on same form, with only one active at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 keyboards on same form, with only one active at a time

Hi, i am trying to create two keyboards on a single form, having letters on one keyboard and numbers and other characters on another. I want to do this so that the alphabet keyboard is visible and the numeric keyboard is hidden to begin with. Then by pressing a button, though use of programming on the raspberri pi, i want to switch which keyboard is active and which is hidden. Can this be done and if so how? Thank you

Using Genie, I'd just have two separate forms, with the button toggling between them
    Mark

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Is there no way to have both of these keyboards on the same form and somehow make one active at a time? I have alot of forms for which i need to do this and duplicating all of them for a second keyboard is something i want to avoid if i could.

Comment

A lot of forms for which you need to do this?

Do you mean you have a lot of forms with keyboards?

It's not good to have many keyboards in a program, it's far better to have a general purpose keyboard form and use strings to adjust the heading. Keyboards use a lot of resources in Genie.
        Mark

Comment

Yes i did and i did not know that. Thanks for telling me. I will try that method and control it from my raspberry pi. I am still curious as to whether 2 keyboards can exist beind each other on the same form and be activated one at a time.

Comment

No, you can't do that in Genie
            Mark

Comment

After atempting to make a multipurpose form, i realised that the string objects for the different forms need to be of different sizes, i am running out of space on each form as it is. The multipurpose form might not be feasible. However if i try loading the project as is i get a warning that the program appears too large to run from the uSD , even though i have plenty of space on it (1.84GB free). What does this mean and what are the ramifications of proceeding. Also it is possible to have the same objects on two different forms (like the buttons) and save resources in that way?

Comment

A program that runs from uSD must be able to load and run from RAM.

To get the largest possible program to run you need to use the 'Run Flash' option. That way the program runs from Flash and the RAM is completely dedicated to variable storage.

Having the same objects on different forms does not save resources, but the RAM resources for a button is about 28 bytes, so you wont save much there.

What do you mean by the string objects need to be different sizes? Couldn't you just use the largest size?
                Mark

Comment

Hey never mind, i managed to make a multipurpose form for a few forms which dropped the project size enough to negate the problem. Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X