Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple serial data display for arduino

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some help with my oled-96-g2. Unfortunately I don't have a 4D programming cable (my store didn't have one) or a PC (Just a mac) but I would like to at least get serial data from my arduino to appear on the screen. Is this possible? It would make the screen at least useful until I manage to get a cable and computer for it... otherwise I might have to return it. Really a lovely display though!

All the very best,

Jordan

Hopefully your 96-G2 came preloaded with serial (if it was made recently it should) in which case you should be able to get it working easy enough.

App notes M5001 and 2 might help you a bit. http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnotes/

You can always use parallels, bootcamp or VMware Fusion to run Windows. Maybe also Crossover, but I've not seen anyone claim to be using it.

You will need that cable though.
    Mark

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll try to get my hands on a windows machine... my wife has a laptop at work that they are not using (if that's the case I'll order a cable). Can I use the serial output of the arduino direct to the display? I'd just give it a go, but don't want to brick anything and if so what library do I need for the arduino?

many questions, but also many thanks!

J

Comment

The first app note should cover all of that
        Mark

Comment

I reviewed the document "serial - interfacing a 4d display to arduino" and am still not having much luck. I installed the libraries and wired the display to the arduino as described, but I'm just getting the demo screen. It reads: Spec2 rev 1.1, PmmC rev 2.4, Comms 9600, (c) 2013. Is this unit new enough to be set in serial mode by default?

Also in the documentation diagram it shows rx to pin3 and tx to pin 2. So I assume we are not using 1 and 0.

Best,

Jordan

Comment

Gee that doesn't look right, Don't think that demo uses software serial, try connecting to 1 and 0
            Mark

Comment

Hmmm not getting anything on 1&0 either. Just the startup info screen scroll.

Comment

Actually, sorry... just a blank screen at 1&0 . but if I remove the rx/tx the screen comes back.

Comment

So the screen had the logo, but when you ran the program it cleared the screen?

This is the first thing it should do, then it should write some stuff to the screen....

Are you using the source from the Zip file?
                  Mark

Comment

I am using the library from the github link "Libraries for use with GOLDELOX Serial Environment" on this page: http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/10/120/Development/4D_Workshop_4_IDE/#product_info_documentation_header

If the tx/rx are disconnected completely then the startup roll screen comes up after a couple of seconds. If they are connected and I reset the arduino the screen remains blank... no startup screen or anything.

here is my code:

#include
                    #include
                    #include
                    #include

/*
                    * Hello World!
                    * This is the Hello World! for Arduino.
                    * It shows how to send data to the computer
                    */

void setup() // run once, when the sketch starts
                    {
                    Serial.begin(9600); // set up Serial library at 9600 bps

Serial.println("Hello world!"); // prints hello with ending line break
                    }

void loop() // run over and over again
                    {
                    // do nothing!
                    }

Comment

That demo looks a bit 'incomplete' to me.

Try the Goldelox demo that is in the zip file when you download app note M5001
                      Mark

Comment

Amazing! Thank you so much!!!!!

I'll be sure to mention you when I order a few more of these. I just noticed your name isn't on here, so I'll just quote your registration date

All the best,

Jordan

Comment

Working...
                        X