No announcement yet.

4D Systems as an automotive Multi-Gauge display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work 'Fast, you've been really helpful in all your responses - something you don't see on a lot of forums! Alright, enough smoke... my question is what are you powering this with, whats feeding Vdd?

Maybe I missed it in one of your posts.

Comment

Vdd is 12vdc from the vehicles power supply. I should have indicated that in the schematic!

Comment

this is awesome and exactly what i was looking for, I decrypted most of the canbus 11bit ids used by the system as well as the 29bit obd messages on the canbus, so i dont need direct obd access since the canbus can poll it WAAAY faster. Things like the guage actual speed vs obd speed for example, i can get both, and from what i seen during tests, the coolant guage and fuel level input are accurate and coolant is updated every about 7-10seconds on cluster while fuel level is fluctuating "live value same as obd" but the guage for that seems to be averaging it out over time and updating over time as well like coolant. most of what i need dont need any obd access, however, an addition to this is a circuit i designed to control the HVAC system, it is no longer in the dash because I will be putting an ipad air 2 and a surface pro 4 in the dash, the HVAC is fully controlled by the arduino, with auto temperature control and manual input from arduino's serial monitor. This will be great to get the HVAC running digitally off the 4D system. The HVAC controller consists of 2 MCP23017's over I2C bus as well as optocouplers (to check the status of hvac mode by using it's leds as inputs), as for the buttons, since it's not a ground circuit contact, it has to be isolated, so I used 3x quad IC switches (they act similarily as relays but solid state and smaller), as for the knobs, I've got them working off 2 IC switches each as well, so right now, with my DHT22 sensor, and engine status, the car can automatically control the temperature, defrost at certain temps, heat in winter, and cool in summer and if the temp is > 20 degrees off it auto turns the AC on till it's in a good range and then turns AC off so as not to burn fuel (thats for auto). This is also controlled by PID (including the HVAC fan, which will decrease the closer it gets to the "setpoint", which can be set as it's an int value). The code is ready but now I just need to get this handy display from 4D systems so I can integrate it all, and work on the HVAC screen, but your code will be a good start for me to learn since this is exactly what I'm working towards
        Thanks
        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by HolyCrapItsFast View Post
          Vdd is 12vdc from the vehicles power supply. I should have indicated that in the schematic!
          PS, I use a good 12V 2.1A belkin charger wired to the car's 12volt line, and drop the arduino USB line onto a USB hub (which is powered from the belkin adaptor). this way if i need to gain programming access to arduino I can just plug straight to the hub from laptop, WITHOUT disconnecting the arduino and plugging it into the laptop. 12Volt is not recommended for the barrel as the linear regular on the arduino heats up too much and can eventually fail. I am also using the atmega, except, I've got 11 I2C devices and 9 SPI devices on the same bus and I havn't even added the LCD yet

Comment

This is awesome, Do you think this is possible using the Armadillo-70T ?? and the Serial URT on the 70T for a bigger display?

Comment

this is what i came up with with only 2 wires going to the car's canbus's 29bit data bus (not the obd data bus):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX34t0PSPjA

yes, those are shiftlights lol
              Tony

Comment

• HolyCrapItsFast
                HolyCrapItsFast commented
                Editing a comment
                Holy Crap that's awesome... Please start your own thread with all the details... I want to make one of these!

im using a mega2560 arduino as the host, i dont know armadillo, sorry...
              Tony

Comment

tonton81-my bad . the question was directed at Holycrapitsfast about using a larger 7 inch TFT display (also made for 4D systems) using the arduino via Serial UART http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/Armadillo_70T/

Comment

Hi Marybeth

The Armadillo-70T is a Linux computer, it is not the same as the Intelligent Display Modules that this user has used.

If you want a 7" and do what he has done, use the uLCD-70DT
                  Its the same as this 4.3" but 7"

Armadillo-70T is a totally different device and would require you to program everything in Linux yourself to achieve all this. Workshop4 cannot help you on the Armadillo-70T.

I hope that helps

Regards
                  James

Comment

i am using the new uLCD-70DT by 4D systems, just to correct you on that.. it is 7", like James said, you need to change hardware, armadillo-70 for ulcd-70dt.
                    You could get the starter kit for arduino: uLCD-70DT-AR. make sure it comes with the programmer uUSB-PA5 or the 4D systems programming cable, if not, buy it, it's mandatory for the proper functionality of the programming process, and using anything else to program it will void your warranty.
                    Last edited by tonton81; 5 May 2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

AWESOME!! Thanks!

Comment

tonton81-you MUST let us know how you did your eye popping display. For us non programmers-Pretend you are instructing your Mom how to set up the display step by step from the beginning...

Comment

I am not a programmer, im a learner such as yourself, and this is a hobby of mine that i play with in my spare time, but im here to help if someone needs

Comment

Good day, I'm experimenting with a similar project, but I need some assistance.

All I want to do is measure the Oil pressure and temp, Water pressure, level and temp, manifold temp and exhaust temp.

I just want the readings to be displayed on a lcd display, or a smaller led display will also work, but must also have a RS485 output to export the data for live streaming.

I'm new to the Arduino craze but I'm able to help myself around electronics and a bit of programming.

Comment

Why do not already download the zips from the first post?

Comment

• James_4DSystems
                                James_4DSystems commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hello Ballbutick. Sorry, but what does this mean? I dont understand.
                                Are you saying the downloads in the first post do not work for you?
                                If so, go to the first post again, and refresh your browser and try again. If you tried to download the files before you were signed in then your browser could be caching and preventing you downloading the files after you have signed into the forum.

• Ballbutick
                                Ballbutick commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nice .. i deleted cookies and now it works .. thanks
                            Working...
                            X